Stories

Exhausted, stressed, drained: It’s ‘déjà vu’ for moms as school year begins amid COVID surge

People in this story

Good Morning America, ABC-TV August 2021

“Here we are on the cusp of another school year and we have the delta variant rising; we have kids under 12 who cannot even be vaccinated; and at the same time we have companies saying, ‘Everybody back in the office,’ and also schools saying, ‘Everybody back to school.”

Alicia Sasser Modestino

Amid a COVID-19 surge brought on by the more contagious delta variant and low vaccination rates, the number of pediatric cases of COVID-19 in the United States is rising, just as the school year begins. In one Florida school district where there are no mask requirements, over 8,000 students have been isolated or quarantined just days into the new school year.

“I felt like I was barely hanging on by a thread at the end of school last year and now I’m thinking I don’t know what I’m going to do,” said Sherman, who added she feels lucky to be able to work from home with her job at MomsRising, an advocacy organization. “I’m thinking of all the plans for ‘what if.’ There’s everything from a seven-day quarantine to [my kids] could be out of school for 24 days.”

Continue reading at Good Morning America.

More Stories

Congratulations poster in yellow and blue for NU Fiscal Challenge team for making it to the finals. The Northeastern students are: Alex Shilov, Meggie Jensen, Ivan Blinov, Vedant Mundhra , Olivia Parsons, Eddie Lowney, Ethan McGeever, George Burkov, Dan Pollianikov, and Bobby Squires

NU students finish in the top three at Fiscal Challenge

04.16.2024
Photograph of Dr. Madhavi Venkatesan with a quote from her,

Madhavi Venkatesan named Massachusetts Woman of the Year

03.31.2024

New Research by Thomas Barnay Explores Impact of Covid-19 Policies on Elderly Health

04.16.24
All Stories