Stories

Professor John Kwoka Named Chief Economist to Chair of the Federal Trade Commission Lina Khan

John Kwoka, Neal F. Finnegan Distinguished Professor of Economics has been named Chief Economist to Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Chair Lina Khan. During his appointment to the FTC, Kwoka will be working with competition economists and attorneys on an updated approach to merger review policies.

Northeastern University President Joseph Aoun stated “this is a terrific achievement and a testament to John Kwoka’s expertise and mastery of antitrust and regulatory economics. Northeastern is proud to have John Kwoka representing our global university system in the public policy arena.”

On the appointment, John Kwoka said: “I am both honored and excited to be joining the Federal Trade Commission at this important time for antitrust policy. I have been researching and writing about the need to strengthen policy for some time, but I never expected to be asked to help in the hard work of “making it happen.”  I am grateful to FTC Chair Lina Khan for this extraordinary opportunity and to Northeastern University for letting me step away from my academic duties.”

“I am delighted that John will be bringing his deep knowledge and insight into key issues of regulation, antitrust and competition policy in service to the FTC. I cannot think of anyone better suited to use their expertise to improve public policy in this area. I am excited that John will be an important contributor to FTC policy formation, and am looking forward to John using his experience to inform his teaching and advising upon his return to our department” added Robert K. Triest, Chair and Professor of Economics at Northeastern University.

At Northeastern University’s College of Social Sciences and Humanities, John Kwoka is the Neal F. Finnegan Distinguished Professor of Economics where he teaches and conducts research in the areas of industrial organization, antitrust, and regulatory economics. His emphasis is on the application of economics to current policy issues in various industries. Kwoka’s recent research has focused on the effectiveness of merger policy in the U.S.

John has previously taught at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and George Washington University, and has lectured, consulted, and testified in the areas of industrial and competition policy. He has also previously worked in the Bureau of Economics at the Federal Trade Commission, as well as in positions at the Antitrust Division of the Justice Department, and the Federal Communications Commission.

More Stories

Northeastern logo

Economics Department Statement Condemning Racism and Anti-Asian Violence

03.26.21
Statement