Long-term and Postdoctoral Fellowships
Submission deadlines may change. Please visit the fellowship websites for the most up-to-date information.
October 15: Hench Post-Dissertation Fellowship
- Any topic relevant to American history and culture through 1876
November 1: The Folger Institute at Folger Shakespeare Library Long-term Fellowships
- Applicants must have the PhD in hand at the time of application.
November 1: Library Company Postdoctoral Fellowships
December 6: Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library Visiting Scholar Fellowships
December 20: University of Rochester Frederick Douglass Institute Postdoctoral Fellowships
- Predoctoral and Postdoctoral Fellowships
- Awarded to scholars in a field that contributes to African and African-American Studies.
January 5: New York Historical Society
January 9: Postdoctoral Fellowships in African American Studies at Princeton University
- Writing on race in the national or global contexts and, with the approval of the Dean of the Faculty, to teaching one semester-long undergraduate course.
January 11: The Lewis Walpole Library at Yale Visiting Fellowships and Travel Grants
- For scholars pursuing postdoctoral or advanced research as well as doctoral candidates at work on a dissertation.
January 15: American Antiquarian Society Short-term and Long-term Visiting Research Fellowships
- “Founded in 1812 by Revolutionary War patriot and printer Isaiah Thomas, the American Antiquarian Society is both a learned society and a major independent research library. The AAS library today houses the largest and most accessible collection of books, pamphlets, broadsides, newspapers, periodicals, music, and graphic arts material printed through 1876 in what is now the United States, as well as manuscripts and a substantial collection of secondary texts, bibliographies, and digital resources and reference works related to all aspects of American history and culture before the twentieth century.”
- Short-term Visiting Academic Research Fellowships
- Long-Term Visiting Academic Research Fellowships
January 15: Massachusetts Historical Society Long-term MHS-NEH Fellowship
- Note: NEH guidelines require prospective fellows to have completed their training for the terminal degree in their field (ordinarily the PhD) by the application deadline.
January 31: McMaster-ASECS Research Fellowship
- Eighteenth-century Studies
- “Applicants must be an ABD graduate student or postdoctoral and members in good standing of ASECS.”