Home » Graduate » Admissions » Financial Aid and Awards » Financial Aid FAQs

Financial Aid FAQs

Q: Is there a separate application for financial aid?


No, there is no separate application for any college assistantships.

However, if you wish to apply for Federal financial aid, please complete the FAFSA.

Q: When will I hear about any scholarships?


Admitted students typically hear about scholarships at the time of admission. If you don’t receive an award with your admission and you are interested in appealing, please contact your academic department.

Q: What happens to my financial aid if I am enrolled less than half-time (less than 6 sh) in my last semester?


Typically, you will still qualify for your College of Social Sciences and Humanities award even though you are enrolled for fewer than 6 sh.  Please check with the CSSH Graduate Office (gradcssh@northeastern.edu or 617-373-5990) for confirmation of the policy.

However, Federal Financial Aid requires that you be enrolled at least half-time (6 sh) in order to receive loan money.  Being enrolled less than half-time also triggers your loan repayment to start.   Note that Federal loans only cover coursework to meet degree requirements.  Please plan accordingly.

Q: I have a Stipended Graduate Assistantship (Teaching or Research), when will I get paid?


Students are paid on the 15th and last day of the month. If either of those days falls on a weekend day, you will be paid the last business day of the week prior.

Q: There is still a tuition balance on my account. When will my scholarship be credited?


Please note that due to the complexity of award systems, it can take three weeks to process your scholarship. We appreciate your patience. If you have a balance that you believe should be covered by your award, please contact Associate Director of Student Services Louis DaRos in the Graduate Office, 180 Renaissance Park.

Q: I am a PlusOne student and wonder if I qualify for financial aid during my stand-alone graduate year?


CSSH PlusOne students are only eligible to apply for loans in the graduate year – they are not eligible for any type of departmental or college funding.

Q: Who is my financial aid advisor?


You can look up your financial aid advisor here.

Q: When do I need to complete the FAFSA?


Please consult the graduate financial aid website regarding information about the FAFSA and its deadlines.