Home » News » Reflections from an International Service-Learning Experience

Reflections from an International Service-Learning Experience

Photo of passport and globe

by Rachel Altman, Service-Learning Newsletter (October 2011)

One of the most impressive aspects of Northeastern is its internationality: not only is it comprised of students from around the world, the university also prides itself on the international opportunities available to its students. This broad international scope coupled with the value of experiential education provides for rich, diverse experiences that enhance learning and broaden horizons. The Service-Learning and Dialogue of Civilizations programs at NU are two such opportunities, opportunities I was lucky enough to take part in this past July when I travelled to Costa Rica and Nicaragua for a one-month, service-learning based Dialogue with Professor Lori Gardinier and 18 inspiring Northeastern students. Before going on this dialogue, I had engaged in service-learning as part of my Human Services Professions class, also taught by Lori Gardinier, serving with Peace through Play. My experience helped me understand my service in new ways through reflection and connection to course content.

Lean more here.

Published On: October 1, 2011 | Tags: ,,,