Editorial Assistant - Written Communication Journal
Perform a variety of complex editorial, research and support duties to coordinate publication of scholarly works in a competitive, professional journal for quantitative and qualitative research. Work concurrently and independently on assigned projects and other tasks.
- Attend weekly editorial team meetings and assist editors in drafting decision letters.
- Editing and Revision: Edits and/or proofreads manuscripts and other forms of copy for publication.
- Records Tracking: Assist the other EA in maintaining an up-to-date record of all manuscripts in the pipeline for publication, in post-production, and published in the last 5 years.
- Social media and Print marketing: Lead the curation of a digital presence for Written Communication.
- Software/Systems Expertise: Train in using the ScholarOne system by SAGE Publishing and gain familiarity with its web support resources. Collaborate with the EA to create internal documentation that offers guidelines, user instructions, or other necessities for more complex tools.
Boston (in person and online)
Faculty / Project Lead
Since 1984, Written Communication has been a leading journal for empirical research on writing as both systems of inscriptions and activities of meaning-making across multiple modes and contexts. Written Communication sponsors a broad and interdisciplinary view of what writing is, how writing gets done, and what writing does in the world. Each issue of the journal encompasses a wide range of topics and its pages consistently provide readers with new research findings, new theoretical concepts, and new ways of understanding how writing is practiced. Written Communication welcomes studies of writing practices in and across pursuits, international borders, and cultures, and at all levels of scope.
• Related experience in Editing for journals or other mass-publications (print and online). • Prior knowledge of Editing protocols and workflows, specifically experience with copyediting across levels (light, medium, and heavy). • Excellent working knowledge of various citation and formatting styles including, MLA; APA; CMOS. • Tools: MS Office (Word; Excel; PowerPoint), Google Suite (Docs; Sheets); • Proficiency with editing & review features in MS Word (e.g., Track Changes, Comments, Compare)
Hours per Week20 Hour Position