- Winning the Presidency 2016. London: Routledge|Taylor & Francis, Editor and Co-Author. (2017).
- Winning the Presidency 2012. Boulder and London: Paradigm Publishers. Editor and Co-Author. (2013).
- The Obama Presidency: Promise and Performance. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books/Rowman & Littlefield. Editor and Co-Author. (2012)
- Winning the Presidency 2008. Boulder and London: Paradigm Publishers, 2009. Editor and Co-Author. (Received CHOICE Award)Chapter 1. “The Bush Presidency and the 2008 Presidential Election: Context and Imprint”
- Chapter 2. “Electing Obama: The 2008 Presidential Campaign”
- POLITY: Special Edition: The 2008 Elections, Volume 41, Number 3, July 2009. Editor and Co-Author.
- Published article in refereed journal: “Policy and Politics: The Bush Administration and the 2008 Presidential Election.” Polity ”Special Issue: The 2008 Elections,” Volume 41, No. 3 (July, 2009), pp 282-311 and also “The 2008 Elections: Introduction,” pp 279-291.
- “The Catholic Church in Ireland: Triumph and Decline,” in The Irish Celebrating: Festive and Tragic Overtones, Marie-Claire Considere-Charon, Philippe Laplace and Michel Savaric, Editors (Cambridge: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2008), pp. 234-248.
- “Review Essay: Protecting the Homeland: The Bush Administration at Work,” POLITY, Journal of the Northeastern Political Science Association, 2008.
- “Crucibles of Political Loyalty: Church Institutions and Electoral Continuity in Hungary,” Book Review, Political Psychology, 2008.
- A Defining Election: The Presidential Race of 2004. Armonk, NY: M.E. Sharp, Inc. 2005.
- Democratic Development and Political Terrorism. Boston, MA: Northeastern University Press, forthcoming 2004. Editor and Co-author.
- Handbook of Party Politics, London: Sage Publications, 2006. 45 chapters, 550 pages. Co-Editor and co-Author.
- A Defining Moment. Armonk, NY: M.E. Sharpe, 2005. Editor and Co-author. (Received CHOICE Award)
- Democratic Development and Political Terrorism. Boston, MA: Northeastern University Press, 2005. Editor and Co-author.
- The Politics of Terror: the U.S. Response to 9/11. Boston, MA: Northeastern University Press, 2004. Editor and Co-author. CHOICE: Current reviews for Academic Libraries, 2004: ”Outstanding Academic Title;” “This should be required reading for all Americans;” “One of the best chapters is the Editor’s.” (From review.)
- Political Terrorism and American Society. Forthcoming 2005.
- Ireland on the World Stage. Essex, United Kingdom: Pearson Education, 2001. Co-editor and Co-author with David Schmitt.
- Ireland and the Politics of Change. London: Longman, 1998. Co-editor and Co-author with David Schmitt.
- The Politics of Presidential Selection. New York: HarperCollins, 1996. Co-author with John S. Jackson, III.
- The Stage of Democracy in America
- The Politics of Presidential Selection
- America’s Choice 2000
- Assassinations and Political Violence. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1969. Also published and distributed by Bantam Books, with an Introduction by Harrison B. Salisbury (New York, 1970), and by Praeger Publishers, 1970. Co-author.
- Publications in process:book on Democratic Development in the American Party System (book attempting to explain and develop empirically the structural basis for party and policy polarization in American society)
Awards and Honors
Winning the Presidency 2008, ed. by William J. Crotty was recognized by Choice Magazine, 2009.
Nominated for Excellence in Teaching Award in 2007.
The Politics of Terror: The U.S. Response to 9/11, ed. by William J. Crotty, selected by Choice Magazine for “Outstanding Academic Title”, 2004
Executive Council, New England Political Science Association (NEPSA), 2012-2014
Hubert H. Humphrey Award, Policy Studies Organization, 1993. (Previous recipients include Donna Shalala, Jeanne Kirkpatrick, Zbigniew Brzezinski, Alice Rivlin and Daniel Patrick Moynihan).
Samuel J. Eldersveld Lifetime Career Achievement Award, Political Organizations and Parties Organized Section, American Political Science Association, 1991.
President’s Award, Policy Studies Organization, 1991.
National Chair, Progressive Political Science Caucus. 1995-2000
Board of Directors, Gorbachev Foundation of North America, 1998-
Executive Committee, Representation and Electoral Systems, American Political Science Association, 2001-
President, Policy Studies Organization, 1990-1991.
President, Midwest Political Science Association, 1988 – 1989.
President, Political Organizations and Parties Organized Section of the American Political Science Association, 1983-1987.