Home » News » Taking a break from the election

Taking a break from the election

By Ann-Sophie Vermeersch

I think it is no surprise that the biggest events in my past week are related to the November 8 election. It’s needless to say how interesting it was to live in Boston as a foreigner and experience a historic election with an even more historic reaction. I could tell you how people in Belgium reacted, how I felt when I find out who won, how people around me reacted, and what it was like to witness the rallies, but I believe there are more suitable people out there who can discuss all of this. And I also think a lot of people don’t feel the need to continuously talk about the elections. It is time to take a break from all the buzz. That is why my post this week covers how I fill my free time when I am not in class.

ann-sophie_library

This weekend I did some homework at the Boston Public Library.

Of course, before I can do relaxing activities, I must finish my schoolwork, especially with the exams just around the corner. Most of my time is spent on academic activities. I just finished a policy memo for my class in education policy, for example. I wrote a research paper on citizen participation within the city’s climate action plans and I’m working with a fellow student on another policy memo on how to make the Department of Homeland Security react to climate change in a resilient way. Even though it is a lot of work, I am very glad I’m doing so many things I will need when I start looking for a job within the public policy field.

However, I believe it is equally as important to plan breaks. I like to enjoy my free time doing three things: meeting up with friends, working out and discovering the city.

Upon my arrival in Boston, I decided to take on a new hobby to combine the first two aspects of my free time: stay in shape and meet some new friends. I must admit I was pleasantly surprised by the variety of group sports offered at Northeastern. Since I wanted to try something completely new, I enrolled in yoga classes. I never thought of myself as a yogi, but it turns out I look forward to both the classes and the people. Not only did I manage to get in better shape (or at least, that’s what I like to believe), but I also met some great people. Even though the yoga class finished last week, I am still hanging out with my yogi friends.

Besides spending my time in yoga, I also like to discover the city. I created a rule for myself: To go somewhere new in the city (or in the surroundings) every week. So, this weekend, I explored the Boston Public Library. When I arrived at the library, I was amazed at how beautiful it is! I took a tour of the building and enjoyed being a tourist. Afterwards, I switched back to student mode and read some articles in the impressive reading area of the library.

So, now you know how I kept my mind off the elections and how I reward myself after some hours of writing papers!

Published On: November 17, 2016 |