Home » News » Students receive 2017 Beal, Fishman Fellowships

Students receive 2017 Beal, Fishman Fellowships

Three graduate students in the School of Public Policy and Urban Affairs (SPPUA) have received internal fellowships, allowing them to complete unpaid summer internships. The awards are given annually by Robert Beal and Robert Fishman, longtime members of the School’s Advisory Committee.

Beal Fellowship

John Millerick, a student in the Master of Public Administration, received funds to support himself while he works full-time during the day, goes to class in the evening, and is completing a summer unpaid internship at the Massachusetts State House in the Office of Representative RoseLee Vincent.

“Because of your generosity through the Fellowship program, I will be able to complete my internship and take advantage of these important opportunities to advance my academic studies and career this summer,” Millerick wrote in a letter to Beal. “Pursuing a career in public policy has been a dream of mine for many, many years and through the program at Northeastern and my current internship, my ultimate goal of building a career in legislative policy and public service has become even closer to reality.”

Fishman Family Fellowship Fund

Ellie Rosen, who is pursuing a Master of Public Administration, and Katie Kalugin, a student in the Master of Public Policy, each received summer support. Rosen is interning with the Secretary of Health and Human Services and Kalugin with Emerge Massachusetts, a nonprofit organization that aims to identify, train, and inspire democratic women to pursue public office.

After an SPPUA alum connected Rosen with the Secretary of Health and Human Services, she was able to secure a summer internship in the Secretary’s office.

“Through this internship, I will gain experience that will pave the path for my professional development in the administrative world,” Rosen wrote in a letter to Fishman. “Every single minute that I am in the executive office is an invaluable learning experience.”

Similarly, Kalugin thanked Fishman for the opportunity to reach her “academic and career goals of advancing initiatives through a gender perspective meant to mitigate social inequalities and give voice to those who are underrepresented or lack political power.”

“I am thrilled to partner with and commit to a nonprofit organization intent on changing the face of politics,” Kalugin wrote to Fishman.

Kalugin has started a bi-weekly blog to document her work at Emerge MA. Click here to read Chronicles of a Nonprofit Intern.

Published On: July 5, 2017 |