Home » News » MPA alumnus becomes Winthrop town manager

MPA alumnus becomes Winthrop town manager

Congratulations to alumnus Austin Faison on becoming the new town manager of Winthrop!

Faison, who graduated in 2011 with a Master of Public Administration, is in charge of the entire municipal organization in Winthrop, Mass. He said Northeastern University’s School of Public Policy and Urban Affairs prepared him to be able to work within a complex municipal government.

“While I was in school reading case studies, I wondered how a trash problem in Seattle or a space shuttle launch procedure would be useful to my career,” Faison said. “However, I have realized over my career that it was learning about how people worked through those issues that has had the greatest impact.”

“Every day on the job presents a different challenge, and you have to be amenable to find the best solution with the resources that you have available,” he added.

Faison started his new position on Aug. 20. He is responsible for all department heads and he works with the Town Council on municipal business.

“It has been a goal of mine to reach this level since I was studying at Northeastern and I am excited to begin the hard work of running a town,” he said. “More Northeastern people should work in municipal government. Good benefits, stable work life balance, and a pension. What else could you ask for?”

Published On: September 11, 2018 |