The Town of Westwood seeks qualified applicants for the position of Town Planner. The purpose of this position is to provide professional, technical and administrative work in the development and implementation of planning and land use controls, and to coordinate both short and long-range physical, social, and economic development and improvement plans for the Town of Westwood.
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Identifies community planning and development issues, analyzes problems and proposes solutions.
- Develops and recommends strategies, programs, and activities for effective community and economic development initiatives, including the preparation of collateral materials.
- Prepares and analyzes a variety of socioeconomic and/or research studies, statistical reports, and related information for policy decision making purposes on long range, comprehensive and strategic planning, including composing and conducting surveys, research, and reports for the boards and committees, other divisions and departments, and town consultants. Gathers, analyzes, interprets, prepares, and presents data for studies, reports, and recommendations.
- Develops short and long-term Town-wide and site-specific plans. Drafts, updates and implements the Town’s Comprehensive Master Plan, Open Space & Recreation Plan, and Climate Action Plan. Coordinates programs for the utilization of land and facilities consistent with these plans. Manages implementation of plan action items by responsible parties.
- Meets with potential applicants to review initial development proposals and recommends alternatives for achieving desired outcomes, including timely regulatory review, enhanced project feasibility, improved accessibility, environmental protection, and aesthetic appeal. Represents the Planning Board during informal meetings with applicants, developers, attorneys, abutters, and other interested parties.
- Processes all Planning Board Special Permit, Environmental Impact & Design Review (EIDR), Project Development Review (PDR), Scenic Road, Subdivision, and Approval Not Required (ANR) applications, as well as Administrative EIDR applications. Maintains records of all applications, decisions, and related materials.
- Assists applicants in determining which approvals and/or permits are required and explains the application and permit review process. Monitors development projects throughout permitting and construction. Coordinates review of plans and application materials by various divisions and departments. Tracks permit workflow and informs applicants of the status of their applications.
- Schedules Planning Board meetings, prepares meeting agendas and public hearing notices, and writes pre-meeting summaries of all issues involved in application and discussion items to be considered by the Planning Board. Coordinates posting of all application materials to the Planning Board’s webpage for public download.
- Attends and facilitates Planning Board meetings. Presents issues, information, and professional recommendations to assist the Planning Board in making decisions.
- Composes and processes all Planning Board decisions for Special Permit, EIDR, PDR, Scenic Road, and Subdivision applications. Coordinates endorsement of approved Subdivision and ANR plans and verifies provision of surety, where required. Confirms recording of decisions and monitors appeal periods. Tracks compliance with decision conditions.
- Drafts proposed Zoning Bylaw and Zoning Map amendments for inclusion on Town Meeting warrants. Presents draft amendments to the Planning Board, Select Board, Finance & Warrant Commission, and Town Meeting voters. Develops public hearing presentations to explain proposed amendments and answers questions from board and commission members and hearing attendees.
- Prepares documents and materials for submission to the Attorney General’s Office (AGO) following Town Meeting approval of bylaw amendments. Incorporates final amendments into updated Zoning Bylaw and Zoning Map following AGO approval.
- Updates Planning Board rules and regulations, and related documents, as required.
- Maintains and continually updates Planning and Project-specific webpages and social media accounts.
- Attends and participates in various meetings of Town boards and committees related to planning and land use matters, and coordinates with counterparts in neighboring towns regarding regional planning activities and programs.
- Applies for and administers grants to achieve adopted goals and objectives according to the funding authority’s guidelines and regulations.
Qualifications and experience: Master’s degree in Planning or related field; training in GIS preferred; three years progressive experience in municipal planning or related field; or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
Salary and benefits: Full-time benefits position with a salary range of $82,894 – $103,522 commensurate with experience. There is opportunity for salary growth and pension; health, dental, life and disability insurance are available.
To apply: Interested candidates are invited to submit a cover letter and resume. Applications reviewed as received.
To apply for this job please visit www.townhall.westwood.ma.us.