Transportation Planning Intern
Opportunity Posted On:
Company / Organization:
Nelson\Nygaard Consulting Associates
Boston, MA - Los Angeles, CA - New York, NY - Portland, OR - Atlanta, GA
View Job:View Job Opportunity
Nelson\Nygaard Consulting Associates is seeking Transportation Planning Interns to join our team during the summer of 2024. We’re looking for students who are eager to gain hands-on experience in the transportation planning field. This is an outstanding opportunity to be involved in the firm’s nationally recognized work in planning for more equitable and livable communities.
Our summer intern program is designed to give current students an opportunity to gain experience with planning work that helps shape our communities. You will work on and produce deliverables for some of our most exciting projects, supporting junior and senior planners with writing and research, data analysis and mapping, and client and community engagement activities.
During your internship, you will be paired with a buddy who will provide mentorship and training support. Additionally, our summer intern cohort will participate in weekly sessions that will enhance their professional development and build their network across the firm. These sessions will teach the fundamentals of working at a consulting firm with sessions such as: transit planning and analysis; bike and pedestrian planning; business development; equity, diversity, and inclusion; and consulting 101. Internships will culminate with a presentation of project-based and professional highlights from the summer.
The Transportation Planning Intern may have the opportunity to:
- Assist with data collection activities in the field
- Map and visually synthesize data in an engaging and user-friendly manner
- Collect, enter, tabulate, and analyze data
- Prepare brief memos explaining methodology and findings
- Assist with the preparation of reports
- Conduct and document research to support senior staff
- Assist with the preparation of presentations and other community outreach activities
- Work with others across offices and with those in remote locations
- Participate in the intern cohort training program and office events
- Recently completed or enrolled in undergraduate program OR enrolled in graduate school and working toward relevant degree
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Proven research, data analysis, and/or communications experience
- Experience with GIS, R/Python, and/or Adobe products (Illustrator, InDesign) a plus
Applying for the Position:
Qualified and interested candidates must submit the following items:
- Cover letter
- Work Samples – Optional but preferred
(Applications that don’t include a resume and cover letter won’t be considered)
Application deadline is January 31, 2024.
Salary and Benefits:
We are looking for a full-time (40 hours per week) intern for the summer. The internship will last approximately three months (roughly June through August). Pay is based on education and experience: interns who have recently completed or are enrolled in an undergraduate program are paid $22/hour; interns enrolled in a graduate program are paid $27/hour. Additionally, we offer flexibility for work from home up to 2 days per week and a stipend to support a home-office workspace.
Interns are not eligible for our full-time benefits package; however, we offer opportunities for many internships to extend into the following school year and may also become regular full-time employees upon graduation.
Relocation support is not available for this position.