PlusOne Overview MPA Direct Path


The PlusOne Program allows students to accelerate their studies by applying graduate credits taken as an undergraduate toward both undergraduate and graduate degrees.

If you are a motivated and academically outstanding student, you can begin earning a Master of Arts in International Affairs during your junior year while completing your Bachelor’s degree. This is achieved by “double counting” up to 16 graduate credits toward both your graduate and undergraduate degree requirements.


Why might this be right for me?

There are three main reasons why this option might be right for you.

  • Professionals who enter the workforce with graduate level experience are often more competitive.
  • The PlusOne option makes financial sense. Up to 16 graduate credits will count toward the completion of your undergraduate and graduate degrees at no additional cost.
  • The PlusOne program can accelerate the completion of a graduate degree. In most cases a PlusOne degree student can obtain both their undergraduate and graduate diplomas with only one additional year of study.


Am I eligible to Apply?

Applicants to the M.A. in International Affairs PlusOne must be undergraduate majors in International Affairs, and they must have completed at least 64 credit hours in their degree with a QPA in their major of 3.50 or higher and an overall QPA of at least 3.33.


When do I Apply?

You should apply prior to the start of your junior year to maximize the number of PlusOne graduate credits you are eligible for.


How do I Apply?

The first step is to make an appointment with your undergraduate academic advisor, and then the International Affairs graduate program director to make sure the program is right for you.

If the School determines that you are eligible to apply, you should complete a PlusOne Internal Admission Application. You will need to submit this form along with the following items to the Graduate Office, located at 180 Renaissance Park (email:

  • Resume
  • Statement of interest
  • Two recommendations from NU faculty (at least one from a full-time professor)
  • Transcripts from non-NU institutions (if applicable)


What Graduate Courses Can I Take?

  • INTL 5200 – International Economy: Interdisciplinary Perspectives
  • POLS 7387 – Global Governance, or SOCL 7221 – Development, Globalization & Social Justice
  • One Public Policy course from the MA program’s approved list
  • One Social Science methods course from the MA program’s approved list
  • One graduate elective, or an additional methods course, from the MA program’s approved list


Want more information?

For more information, please contact your undergraduate academic advisor, the graduate program director, or the graduate program administrator. They will be able to give you more details about the program and help determine if this program is right for you. You can also email