Writing Center Consultants
We are currently hiring for Fall 2020! We are on the lookout for undergraduate and master’s level students from all disciplines across the university who have a desire to help other people become better writers.
Who Should Apply? We’re looking for students who are reliable, self-motivated, understand the writing process, interested in being a part of a writing community, experienced in receiving and giving writing feedback beyond editing, and who want to learn more about Writing Center pedagogy.
About the Writing Center: The Writing Center is a nexus for research, service, and programming centered around writing and the teaching of writing. We help any member of the Northeastern community on any aspect of writing or composing so that they become more effective writers. We understand that writing serves multiple purposes and that effective writing takes many forms. We value multilingual and translingual approaches to writing and recognize that the process of writing is as important to developing ideas as are the words used to express those ideas. Our programming and research initiatives support these philosophies and work to create a community of writers at Northeastern.
About the Job: Consultants offer writing support at two campus locations (Holmes 412 and Snell 136) and online. Consultants prepare for sessions, write in-house client report forms, and may perform other administrative or research tasks as assigned. There are multiple workshops and meetings per semester, including an introductory training session and a closing meeting. Consultants help to create a community of writers by completing formative peer-to-peer consultant observations and otherwise supporting fellow consultants. Consultants also have the opportunity to and are encouraged to participate in Writing Center events, guest lectures, research, workshops, and other professional development opportunities.
How to Apply
Please note that applications are now closed for the 19-20 academic year. Those interested may still apply to keep their application on hold for future use.
Follow the link below to apply:
Please be prepared to attach the following:
- Cover Letter describing why you want to work in the Writing Center and what experiences you’d bring to that role;
- Current Resume;
- Academic Writing Sample no longer than 5 pages (can be an excerpt from a longer work).
Writing Center Consultant Job Description
Northeastern University Writing Center consultants work with students, faculty, and staff from across the university. Consultants offer writing support in three ways: in-person consulting, walk-in appointments, and online appointments. Northeastern Writing Center consultants will:
- Work with diverse Writing Center clients in a variety of ways, including: in-person appointments, online appointments, and walk-in consultations.
- Create timely client report forms in our scheduling system (WCOnline) and regularly use this system for administrative tasks.
- Perform day-to-day responsibilities, including opening and closing the centers, maintaining a welcoming and tidy space, and completing other duties as assigned.
- Participate in required readings, trainings and staff meetings and familiarize themselves with resources for clients.
- Arrive at shifts on time and prepared; communicate with the Director or Assistant Director in a timely way for job-related communications, including scheduling requests, time off requests, and sick leave.
Consultants also have the opportunity to and are encouraged to attend Writing Center events, guest lectures, contribute to ongoing research, and other professional development opportunities.