CSSH Department Peer Mentors
CSSH Peer Mentors are students in their sophomore year and above who provide new students in their department with peer guidance and support.
Applications for Fall 2022 are being accepted on a rolling basis through August 21: Apply here.
What are the goals of the CSSH Peer Mentor program?
- Help first-year students and transfer students feel connected to their programs/departments
- Provide peer support during a student’s first semester on campus
- Ease new students’ transition to college/Northeastern life through peer guidance
- Introduce and help new students navigate opportunities on campus and in Boston
- Build a CSSH community that spans across class levels (from first-years to seniors)
- Provide examples of curricular, extracurricular, and experiential learning pathways by sharing stories of lived experiences
What are the expectations of CSSH Peer Mentors?
- Mentor 3-7 new students in your academic department.
- Attend DEPT1000 (First-Year Seminar class) when invited by the instructor to share from your experiences and meet with mentees. Mentors must have schedule availability compatible with the meeting time of their department’s 1000 class. Students in combined majors will be considered for either department based on schedule and need.
- Invite and accompany your mentees to at least one academic department event or department/major student club, and at least one CSSH or university-wide event.
- Check-in with mentees individually or as a group every two weeks via in-person meeting, text, or email.
- Attend mandatory College-wide Peer Mentor trainings/check-in meetings every 3-4 weeks.
- Assist with planning College-wide community events, contribute to Students of CSSH social media account, and/or meet with College leaders to represent peers, as requested/available.
CSSH Peer Mentors are compensated $300 per semester ($15/hour). Peer Mentors can expect to commit an average of 1-2 hours per week to the program.
What is the application deadline for Fall 2022?
Priority Deadline: April 28
Virtual Group Interviews: Week of June 6
Hear Back: By June 17
Standard Deadline: June 27
Virtual Group Interviews: Week of July 5
Hear Back: By July 15
Applications will continue to be accepted on a rolling basis until August 21, or until all positions are filled.
Who do I contact if I have questions?
If you have any questions about the CSSH Peer Mentor program or application, please contact Kelliann Henry, Coordinator of Undergraduate Student Engagement, at email@example.com.