Resources for Faculty
CSSH provides many resources to support the development of new and continuing research initiatives.
The CSSH Dean’s Research and Engagement Development Initiative provides faculty members in CSSH with seed funding to help them develop proposals for more significant support from external sources. The external support may come in a wide variety of forms including grants, fellowships, research contracts, or research partnerships.
The College of Social Sciences and Humanities is pleased to announce the continuation of the CSSH Multi-generational Research Teams Program. In Spring 2021, this opportunity will support CSSH-supported SGA research assistants (currently funded PhD students) to work with faculty members to develop and conduct a faculty-led research project that engages students from multiple levels including post-docs (as applicable), graduate students, and undergraduate students. Faculty may apply as individuals or as a team of faculty.
CSSH faculty members and occasionally graduate students are eligible to apply for internal research awards through the Research Development office. Tier 1 Grants are awarded once every fiscal year and are designed to support and encourage individual faculty members to form multidisciplinary teams with the goal of successfully competing for future sponsored research opportunities. The university’s Tier 2 and Tier 3 programs have rolling deadlines and are intended for major research initiatives ready for, or already competing, for large Federal funding opportunities. Visit Northeastern’s research website for more details about all three programs.
The Northeastern Humanities Center offers several opportunities each year for research funding in the form of its resident fellowship program and collaborative research cluster grants. The Humanities Center also provides grant-writing workshops, a faculty works-in-progress colloquium series, and other opportunities for faculty members and students to exchange ideas in a collegial environment.
The Northeastern Office of Research Development provides a list of highlighted external funding opportunities and links to searchable funding databases to identify external sponsors for your research projects. Visit Northeastern’s Office of Research and Development website for details.
CSSH GRANT SUPPORT SERVICES AND PROCEDURES
Please notify the RA Team if you plan to submit a grant or fellowship proposal using the Intent to Submit Form.
All external Grant applications, Letters of Intent, and Fellowship applications should be directed to the RA Team for proposal review and internal approval prior to submission. When preparing an application, please adhere to the following steps.
- Review funding announcement requirements and notify your CSSH grant administrator using the Intent to Submit Form.
- Meet with your CSSH grant administrator, RA Team work distribution, to develop a timeline for proposal documents and budget development.
- Provide final proposal documents to your CSSH grant administrator 5 business days prior to your deadline for final assembly by CSSH grant administrator.
- CSSH grant administrator will provide college-level review and route to NU-Res for institutional review.
- CSSH grant administrator will work with NU-Res on final submission.
2020-2021 Rate Sheet for Grant Budget Preparation
The CSSH Research Administration Team will work with faculty to develop proposals that are in accordance with sponsor guidelines and university policies by providing the following proposal services:
- Identification of required proposal elements
- Proposal budget development
- Support for using required submission portals, such as Grants.gov, Research.gov, ASSIST, etc.
- Coordinate the collection of sub-materials for the submission
- Facilitate internal approval of submission through ePaws record creation
The CSSH Research Administration Team helps Faculty focus on their research efforts by providing the following post-award services below:
- Monthly detailed financial reports
- Summer salary compensation
- Course buy-out
- Compliance support
The University’s central grants office, Northeastern University Research Enterprise Services (NU-Res), acts as the authorized institutional officials for University Research Administration, Research Finance, and Research Compliance. The CSSH RA Team should be included on correspondence with NU-Res to ensure that our faculty have the full support of the College on any issues involving external sponsorship of research. Click here to learn more about NU-Res.