Affiliate Professor of Political Science, International Affairs, and Israel Studies
Professor Waxman’s research focuses on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, Israeli foreign policy, U.S.-Israel relations, and American Jewry’s relationship with Israel. He received his Ph.D. and M.A. from the Johns Hopkins University and his B.A. from Oxford University. He has previously taught at the City University of New York, Bowdoin College, and the Middle East Technical University in Ankara, Turkey; and he has been a visiting fellow at Tel Aviv University, Bar-Ilan University, the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, and Oxford University. He is the author of three books: The Pursuit of Peace and the Crisis of Israeli Identity: Defending / Defining the Nation (Palgrave, 2006), Israel’s Palestinians: The Conflict Within (with Ilan Peleg, Cambridge University Press, 2011), and Trouble in the Tribe: The American Jewish Conflict over Israel (Princeton University Press, 2016), and The Israeli-Palestinian Conflict: What Everyone Needs to Know (Oxford University Press, 2019). He is a frequent commentator in print, on radio, and on television, and he has lectured widely in the United States and abroad.
- Stotsky Professorship in Jewish Historical and Cultural Studies, Northeastern University, 2015-2018.
- Research award from the Lefell Foundation, 2016.
- Nominee for Excellence in Teaching award, 2015.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Association for Israel Studies, 2012-2015.
- Visiting Research Associate, St. Johns College, University of Oxford, 2012.
- Visiting Scholar, Oxford Center for Hebrew and Jewish Studies, University of Oxford, 2012.
- Visiting Scholar, Institute of Contemporary Jewry, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, 2012.
- Eugene M. Lang Research Fellowship, 2007-2008.
- Whiting Fellowship for Excellence in Teaching, 2006-2007.
- Associate Editor, Israel Studies Forum, 2005-2010.
- Visiting Fellow, Begin-Sadat Center for Strategic Studies, Bar-Ilan University, Israel, 2006-2007.
- Visiting Scholar, Department of International Relations, Middle East Technical University, Turkey, 2000-2001.
- Visiting Fellow, Moshe Dayan Center for Middle Eastern and African Studies, Tel Aviv University, 1999-2000.
- Trouble in the Tribe: The American Jewish Conflict over Israel, Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2016
- Israel’s Palestinians: The Conflict Within (co-authored with Ilan Peleg), New York: Cambridge University Press, 2011
- The Pursuit of Peace and the Crisis of Israeli Identity: Defending/Defining the Nation, New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2006.
PhD, 2002, International Relations
Johns Hopkins University