Professor Oscar T. Brookins has an undergraduate degree from DePauw University. Brookins obtained his PhD in economics in 1976 from State University of New York at Buffalo. Brookins has taught and mentored a large number of students who have gone on to distinguished careers across the world in academic institutions, government service and in private businesses. He has extensive international research and teaching experience in Africa, Europe, and Asia. In recent years he has contributed principally to the fields of macroeconomics, international finance and development. Brookins currently teaches in the areas of monetary and financial economics and American economic history. He is a member of the Founding Editorial Board of The International Journal of Economic Perspectives and also a member of the Founding Editorial Board of Bentham Science’s The Open Economics Journal; he frequently reviews proposed publications for Routledge, Taylor Francis Group of Great Britain.
- Senior Fulbright Scholar to Tallinn Technical University, Estonia, 2000
- Fulbright-Hays Summer Grant to Southern Africa for 1991
- “The Subprime Loan Debacle and Its Impacts on the Racial Wealth Gap,” International Journal of Economic Perspectives, Volume 5, Issue 2, June 2011.
- with Naved Ahmad, “The Impact of Corruption on Efficiency in Developing Economies, International Journal of Economic Perspectives, Volume 1, No. 2, June 2007, pp. 64-73.
- with Naved Ahmad, “On Corruption and Countervailing Actions in Three South Asian Nations,” The Journal of Policy Reform, Volume 7, No.1, pp. 21-30, (2004).
- with Mary Laura Brookins, “An Exploratory Analysis of Fertility Differentials in India,” Journal of Development Studies, Vol. 39, No. 2, pp.54-72, December 2002.
- with Mumtaz Hussain, “On the Determinants of National Savings: An Extreme Bounds Analysis,” Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv, Band 137, Heft 1, June, 2001, pp. 150-174.
- “Monetary Studies of Less Developed Economies: A Review and Survey,” Rivista Internazionale di Scienze Economiche e Commerciale, October-November, 1984, pp. 1121-1133.
- “Analysis of Variance Techniques: Reconsidered,” Journal of Development Studies, Vol. II, No. 3, April 1975, pp. 226-229.
- “On Katzman’s Study of Discrimination,” American Journal of Economics and Sociology, 1972, 31 (3), pp. 332-336.
- “Factor Analysis and Gross National Product: A Comment,” Quarterly Journal of Economics, 1970, LXXXIV (4), pp. 648-650.
Related Schools & Departments
PhD, 1976, Economics,
State University of NY at Buffalo
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115