Skip to content

If students wish to register for any courses at another institution and receive transfer credit from Northeastern, they must petition to have the credit count. Please refer to the guidelines below for more information on transfer credit.

Possible reasons for seeking credits at another institution include:

  • If the student has a deficiency from a prior semester. A deficiency is most commonly defined as having received a failing grade (U or F);
  • If a program or course at another institution presents an opportunity to expose the student to course material or to other opportunities that relate to his or her declared program (major), but are not available at Northeastern; or
  • Other situations may be permissible, so students should check in with their academic advisor if they think they may have a unique situation.

In order for a student to transfer credit from another institution after matriculating at Northeastern, the student must file a petition with their academic advisor, which will be reviewed by the Office of the Provost. Students should begin this process by contacting their academic advisor.

Before registering for any courses at an institution outside of Northeastern, students must have an approved petition on file with their academic advisor. Petitions received after a student has enrolled or completed the coursework potentially may not be approved.

The following guidelines apply to all successful transfer credit:

  • Transfer credits must be from an approved and accredited institution;
  • Students must earn a C or higher in an academic credit course. Pass/fail courses will not transfer;
  • Students will earn only the number of credits as the other institution attributes to the course or less, depending on the institution;
  • A maximum of 80 credits from a four-year institution and 60 credits from a two-year institution (combined total of 80) may be accepted toward a Northeastern degree;
  • Courses may not be Remedial/Developmental/ESL/Physical Education/Non-academic; and
  • Students have up to one semester after matriculation to finalize transfer credit.

The Transfer Credit Database (this link works best in Google Chrome) provides what other courses have already been successfully transferred from a given institution. If pursuing a course other than those already cataloged in this database, the student should submit a course description and syllabus for evaluation by the relevant department to their academic advisor. All courses must have and official, approved evaluation from a Northeastern University evaluator before the petition will be considered.

Students must submit an official transcript to their academic advisor as soon as possible after completion of the course at the outside institution. If you are having your official transcript mailed to or dropped off with your academic advisor, please keep the transcript in its original sealed envelope. Opened transcripts cannot be accepted as valid for transfer credit.

Northeastern University
360 Huntington Ave
Boston, MA  02115-5000

If you are having an electronic official transcript emailed, please have it emailed directly to your academic advisor’s Northeastern University email address.