Project Planning and Development
- Design for Diversity – Resources for understanding how to create more inclusive information systems. While the site’s primary audience is cultural heritage practitioners, there are also many examples of digital projects and readings that will be useful more broadly.
- Flask – A micro web framework for web applications.
Visualization and Publication
- Kieran Healy’s Data Visualization – Textbook on data visualization using R.
- Northeastern Library Subject Guide: Data Visualization – Library guide for data visualization. Curated by Kate Kryder.
- Northeastern Library Subject Guide: GIS – Library guide for Geographic Information Systems. Curated by Bahare Sanaie-Movahed.
Produced by Northwestern University’s Knight Lab, this toolkit includes open-source, lightweight tools for media makers. Each resource includes tutorials and examples, as well as resources for embedding materials in a personal or project website.
- Juxtapose – A tool for making side-by-side photograph comparisons with an interactive sliding threshold.
- Scene – A tool for making virtual reality presentations.
- Soundcite – A tool for adding inline sound clips to a text story.
- Storyline – A tool for creating timeline-based, slideshow-like, presentations using data.
- StoryMap – A tool for creating map-based, slideshow-like, presentations.
- Timeline – A powerful, easy-to-use method of creating historical timelines.
- SketchUp – A 3D modeling toolkit for making and printing 3D models. There are free and priced versions of this product.
- CodeSchool – Offers courses on various coding skills, costs money but there is a free trial.
- MDN WebDocs – Free in-depth tutorials on website development and various programming languages.