Carla Kaplan, Davis Distinguished Professor of American Literature; Professor of Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
This Norton Critical Edition includes:
- Nella Larsen’s stunning 1928 novel, accompanied by Carla Kaplan’s full and far-reaching introduction and explanatory annotations.
- Twenty-seven carefully chosen reviews of one of the Harlem Renaissance’s most sensational literary debuts as well as contemporary biographical and cultural contexts.
- Related writings by Nella Larsen repudiating racial stereotypes.
- Major critical assessments by Laura Doyle, Ann duCille, Lori Harrison-Kahan, Arne Lunde and Anna Westerstahl Stenport, Deborah McDowell, Hanna Musiol, Susan M. Reverby, and Cherene Sherrard-Johnson.
- A chronology and a selected bibliography.