Undergraduate Research Initiative
Eligibility: Any undergraduate major in the College of Social Sciences and Humanities is eligible. URI awards will not be awarded to students who receive other funding for the same projects, unless such funding is partial, in which case the award will cover only expenses that are not funded by other sources. Students must note in their application if they have applied to other funding sources and notify Laura Green immediately if they have success in securing such funding.
Details of Award:
- Amount awarded will be up to $1500.
- Award may aid any stage of the project.
- Eligible requests include, but are not restricted to, materials and supplies, aid in data collection, or dissemination of work.
- Successful applicants must submit a brief progress report to Associate Dean Laura Green (email@example.com) at the end of the eighth week of the first semester of funding and a final report at the conclusion of the student’s participation in the research project.
- Successful applicants are strongly encouraged to present their work at an on-campus venue such as RISE.
Deadline: There are three funding cycles: March 15 for funding beginning Summer and Fall semesters; July 31 for funding beginning Fall semester; and October 31 for funding beginning Spring semester.
Application Process: Fill out the online application form below. A completed application includes:
- A faculty sponsor who must be willing to sponsor your research;
- Brief descriptions of the research project on which you will be working, your contribution, and how the award will help you achieve your academic goals;
- An itemized budget;
- Comprehensive resume.
Review Process: All applications will be reviewed by a faculty committee. The committee will be looking for:
- clearly described research projects, including timelines;
- well defined student contributions and expected benefits;
- significant anticipated outcomes;
- and appropriate and detailed budget rationales.
Decisions will be made within three weeks of the application deadline.
Undergraduate Research Initiative Application