Admission Requirements for Master’s Degrees
Submit all application materials, including letters of recommendation, via Northeastern’s online system. Fall and spring admission is available for the Master of Arts in Political Science and the Master of Science in Security and Resilience Studies.
Deadlines & Required Materials
- June 15: All international applicants
- August 15: Domestic applicants and non degree students (officially called special students)
- October 1: All international applicants
- December 15: Domestic applicants and non degree students (officially called special students)
- Application fee: $100 USD (waived for MS Security and Resilience Studies in Arlington)
- Personal Statement: 2-3 pages that reflects on the applicant’s research, curricular interests and professional goals.
- Unofficial transcripts: Unofficial transcripts should be uploaded as part of the application.
- Official transcripts: If admitted, students will have 30 days after classes start to provide an official copy of all degree-bearing transcripts. If official transcripts are uploaded, these may be deemed sufficient.
- Transcripts in languages other than English: Transcripts from international applicants must be in English and, if applicable, also in the language of instruction. English translated transcripts must be from the institution, or an officially certified translator, or an educational credential evaluation agency.
- Letters of Recommendation: 3 letters of recommendation to be submitted
- GRE General Exam (Optional for both MA and MS programs): Upload unofficial copies and then request ETS send official scores to institution code 3682
- Writing Sample (Required for MA only): Please submit a writing sample of no more than 30 pages. Ideally, it should be a seminar paper or thesis related to political science. However, if you do not have a political science paper, we are happy to consider writing samples from related social science fields. The writing sample should not be co-authored. If you happen to have a published article, that is acceptable too.
- Proof of English Proficiency (Required for International Applicants only): Please provide proof of degree earned from a U.S. institution, or official exam scores from either the TOEFL iBT (ETS institution code is 3682), IELTS, or PTE exam 100 TOEFL iBT (7.0 IELTS or PTE, Duolingo 120 equivalent). In some cases, this requirement may be waived at the discretion of the admissions committee, if one of the following conditions is met:
- You have/will receive a bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree from a U.S. institution.
- You are a citizen of a country where English is the official/primary language.
- You have/will receive a bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree from a country where English is the official/primary language.
- You have have/will receive a bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree abroad from an accredited, American university abroad.
- English is the medium language of instruction where you have/will receive a bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree. This information must be clearly stated on your transcript.