Admissions Requirements for PhD Program
Apply today using the ApplyYourself online system. Submit all application materials, including letters of recommendation, via this online system. The PhD program only accepts Fall admissions. Please note that you do not need a faculty sponsor in order to apply. Answers to frequently asked questions can be found here from the department and here from the college.
Deadlines & Required Materials
- December 15: All applicants
- Application fee: $75 USD
- Personal Statement: Your personal statement should be 2 to 3 pages. One of the most important criteria for admission is your potential to successfully conduct research. Please describe your prior experience in research in undergraduate or graduate programs or outside of academia. If you have not had research experience, please describe how your other experiences contribute to your ability to work independently, organize and manage projects, and creatively solve problems.
- Unofficial transcripts: Unofficial transcripts should be uploaded to the ApplyYourself system as part of the application.
- Official transcripts: If admitted, students will have 30 days after classes start to provide an official copy of all degree-bearing transcripts. If official transcripts are uploaded into ApplyYourself, these may be deemed sufficient.
- Transcripts in languages other than English: Transcripts from international applicants must be in English and, if applicable, also in the language of instruction. English translated transcripts must be from the institution, or an officially certified translator, or an educational credential evaluation agency.
- Letters of Recommendation: 3 letters of recommendation to be submitted via ApplyYourself
- GRE General Exam (The GRE is optional for those applying to the PhD program for a Fall 2022 start.): Upload unofficial copies and then request ETS send official scores to institution code 3682.
- Writing Sample: Please submit a writing sample of no more than 30 pages. Ideally, it should be a seminar paper or thesis related to political science. However, if you do not have a political science paper, we are happy to consider writing samples from related social science fields. The writing sample should not be co-authored. If you happen to have a published article, that is acceptable too.
- English Proficiency for international applicants:
- Proof of degree earned from a U.S. institution, or official exam scores:
- Target score 100 TOEFL iBT (or 7.0 IELTS or PTE equivalent)
- Target score 120 Duolingo
- In some cases, this requirement may be waived at the discretion of the admissions committee, if one of the following conditions is met:
- You have/will receive a bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree from a U.S. institution.
- You are a citizen of a country where English is the official/primary language.
- You have/will receive a bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree from a country where English is the official/primary language.
- You have have/will receive a bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree abroad from an accredited, American university abroad.
- English is the medium language of instruction where you have/will receive a bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree. This information must be clearly stated on your transcript.