Skip to content

Entrance requirements  for CSSH majors and minors are listed below. Where no major-specific requirements are listed, the entrance criteria is a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA and required academic standing. Still have questions? Reach out to our academic advising team.

How to declare a major

  1. First schedule an appointment and meet with the CSSH academic advisor of the intended major. After meeting with the CSSH academic advisor for the intended major, students who meet the entrance criteria will be approved and receive a confirmation email.

    Undergraduate Advising
  2. It is strongly recommended that students also meet with a CSSH Undergraduate Program Director in the intended major to take advantage of their expertise in curricular options, research opportunities, graduate school possibilities, and career paths.

For students who do not meet the entrance criteria and/or required academic standing for the  intended CSSH major, the CSSH academic advisor of the intended major will refer the case. Depending on their academic standing, the student may be denied entrance, instructed  to wait until the current term’s grades post for an entrance decision, or offered provisional acceptance.

Major-specific entrance criteria

Any student with an overall GPA of 2.500 or higher may transfer into the following International Affairs majors and combined majors:

  • International Affairs
  • International Affairs (with regional concentrations- — see International Affairs website)
  • International Affairs and Cultural Anthropology
  • International Affairs and Economics
  • International Affairs and Religious Studies

Students with GPA of 2.000–2.499 are eligible for a Transitional Semester. The student and the CSSH academic advisor will complete a Transitional Semester Contract for the intended major during their meeting. This contract will outline the necessary grades and/or GPA the student is required to earn during the Transitional Semester in order to enter their desired International Affairs major or combined major.

Students with GPA of 2.000–2.499 must complete INTL 1101 Globalization and International Affairs (4 SH) with a grade of B- or better.

Additionally, transitional semester students must complete two of the following three courses with a grade of B- or better:

  • ANTH 1101 Peoples and Cultures (4 SH)
  • HIST 2211 World History since 1945 (4 SH)
  • POLS 1160 International Relations (4 SH)

The Environmental Studies and International Affairs combined major is housed within the College of Science (COS).  To see requirements for major change requirements for COS majors,  click here.

Students with a cumulative GPA of 2.500 or higher will be eligible to change their majors to the PPE program.

How to declare a minor

  1. To declare a minor in the College of Social Sciences and Humanities, please complete the form below. Note, you will have to log in with your myNortheastern credentials.

    Declare a minor
  2. If you would like to declare a minor in a different college, please contact the appropriate office.

For technical assistance with the Declare a Minor form, please contact

PLEASE NOTE:  If you are a non-CSSH student seeking advice or guidance related to minor requirements, please contact the appropriate undergraduate program director for the minor. Please consult your degree audit for information about your minor requirements for your catalog year. You should see your primary advisor in your home college for all advising related questions, including planning courses for your CSSH minors.