Department of Cultures, Societies and Global Studies
The Department of Cultures, Societies and Global Studies is focused on meeting the needs of today’s students for interdisciplinary inquiry and a broad set of skills for lifelong learning.Majors & Minors
Learn about students who studied with CSGS.
- Andrew took Chinese Film, where the class would spend a day discussing film theory and Chinese politics, then another watching well-curated art house films.
- With PhD candidate Tim Fraser, he collected biographical data on the members on Japanese reconstructional committees at the municipal, prefectural, and national levels.
- Andrew worked on an intergenerational research team with Professor Daniel Aldrich conducting comparative analysis between Boston and Japan's climate change policy.
- Andrew completed his first co-op remotely during the pandemic with the Japanese nonprofit Safecast, doing immersive field research on Fukushima.
- He interned with JICA's Kyrgyzstan office on the regional economic development project "One Village One Product."
- Andrew joined NU Political Review and focused his contributions on stories about Japanese Politics and the Asia-Pacific.
- He was awarded a prestigious Fulbright Scholarship to continue his research on disaster preparedness and resilience in Japan. ..
- Ford began school as an N.U.in student living in a Westin hotel during the pandemic. He became very close with his fellow students, which eased his transition to college.
- He took his first class in the Spanish program with Professor Christina Agostinelli-Fucile, appreciating her willingness to accommodate notice learners.
- Ford works as a Husky Ambassador and enjoys sharing his experiences with prospective families and representing Northeastern.
- He studied abroad in Pylaia, Greece at the American College of Thessaloniki, broadening his academic horizons overseas.
- Ford worked with Bottom Line as a Student Recruitment Intern, a nonprofit that supports degree-aspiring students of color from under-resourced communities.
- He now works part-time as a Video Production Assistant for Harvard Athletics.
- Zainab took Possession, Divination, and Sacrifice in the African Diaspora with Professor N. Fadeke Castor. Being from the culture, she enjoyed learning about Yoruba religion.
- As a research assistant for the Sociology and Anthropology dept., Zainab worked in collaboration with the ADVANCE office to study how COVID-19 impacted the career path of female professors in STEM.
- She conducted research with the International Affairs Program, studying Middle Eastern women and changes in educational opportunities throughout history.
- For her first co-op, Zainab worked as a marketing assistant at the startup LearnLaunch Accelerator, a small venture capital fund that focuses on EdTech companies and provides accelerated programming.
- She is passionate about her role as the Vice President for Sisters in Solidarity, the black women's coalition on campus.
- Zainab is also the VP of Marketing for Women in Finance, where she is a part of a community of women who share their experiences and accomplishments in business school and the WIF alumni network.
- She graduated in May 2023. ..
EDUCATING TOMORROW’S CHANGEMAKERS
We drive interdisciplinary thinking and problem solving on issues of pressing concern to society at local, state, national, and international level – from transportation, housing, energy and community development to social and environmental justice, resilience and sustainability.
By educating students in both theory and practice, we prepare them to become effective contributors to social, economic, and environmental change, in careers spanning the public, private, and nonprofit sectors, as well as academic research.
Schools, Departments, and Programs
Africana Studies Program
American Sign Language & Interpreting Education
Cultures, Societies, and Global Studies
Global Asian Studies Program
Human Services Program
Jewish Studies Program
Philosophy and Religion
Politics, Philosophy, and Economics
School of Criminology and Criminal Justice
School of Public Policy and Urban Affairs
Sociology and Anthropology
Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies Program
World Languages Center