Skip to content


For students joining the graduate program in a fall term, the Graduate Program Director and other members of the faculty and staff host a brief information session, normally in the afternoon on the day before fall classes begin. Details are sent to new students in early August. All new students are expected to attend.

The department typically does not host an orientation session for new students matriculating in spring terms and instead can provide one-on-one support as needed.

For international students, the Office of Global Services (OGS) will send each new student an orientation schedule at the same time they issue an I-20 (or DS-2019) and will inform the student of the Orientation Assistance for International Students (OASIS) program. Students who do not receive a schedule can contact OGS directly or check the orientation page on the OGS website.

Northeastern students access their student email accounts, update their contact information, register for courses, access Canvas, and find links to various campus services via Students eligible for a Northeastern online account will receive an automated account claim email. If you have any problems, please contact the Information Services Help Desk at 617-373-HELP.

If you did not provide a social security number on your admission application, use the PKID listed under the signature line of your admissions offer letter. The CSSH Graduate Office can also provide this number upon request.

Please submit new contact information to the Registrar’s Office via the link provided under the Self Services tab of your myNortheastern account.

Students in coursework pay a Campus Recreation Fee to access the fitness facilities on campus.

Students who are not enrolled in credit-bearing courses have to submit a form and pay a fee to access campus recreation facilities. More information can be found under Student Accounts and Health Forms on the Student Financial Services Forms website:

After you enroll in first-semester classes, most correspondence will be sent to your NU email account. Occasionally, correspondence to email groups is sent BCC:. Check to make sure our emails aren’t going into a Junk/Bulk folder. If you need further assistance, contact the department’s Graduate Office.

Information about on- and off-campus housing can be found at the CSSH Graduate Office’s New Grad Student Resources website. Students are also encouraged to utilize the English Grad Student Connections Facebook group to connect with other students seeking housing. Popular areas for grad students include Brighton, Cambridge, Jamaica Plain, Somerville, and Boston proper, as well as neighboring city-suburbs such as Revere.

Husky Card information can be found at You will need to present a photo identification card, such as a state issued license or passport.

Master’s students are entitled to locker space in the Barrs lounge for their convenience. Stop by the Main Office at 405 Lake Hall for your key!

Tuition, Fees, Financial Aid

Loans are distributed during the first week of the semester, and they are automatically applied to any outstanding balance in your account. Since SGAs and CSSH scholarship recipients are asked not to pay the full balance of their bill, they need to request a cash release. These students may request the cash release via myNortheastern. Here’s the Student Financial Services’ policy about cash releases:

Many students opt to personally visit the Student Accounts Office with a copy of their award letters in hand. Students should tell the front desk staff to look both in the Financial Aid and in the Student Account systems for their award information.

SGA tuition awards and CSSH scholarships may take up to eight weeks to post to your student account after the semester begins. Health insurance awards may take 2-3 weeks to post. As appropriate, you may let tuition and NUSHP balances remain unpaid until the awards post to your student account. In the meantime, you should pay the portions of your bill that are not covered by your award on time to avoid late fees. Contact the department’s Graduate Office if your award does not post within eight weeks.

For all other general tuition bill questions contact Student Financial Services.


Please refer to the academic calendar, available on the Registrar’s website.

Shortly after the CSSH Graduate Office receives your signed confirmation, the department will send your advisor assignment via email.

Search for courses and register via the myNortheastern portal. If you are unsure of the courses in which to enroll, review the Academic Catalog and consult the Graduate Program Administrator for your program.

Visit the Registrar’s website for detailed instructions for how to register.

Please refer to the program guides for suggested course enrollments.

Please refer to the program guides and consult your advisor prior to registering.

Stipended Graduate Assistantships (PhD Only)

All student employees are required to sign up for Direct Deposit. Follow the instructions Information about Direct Deposit can be found on the Student Employment website to complete the Direct Deposit Authorization.

The Writing Program Director will contact new SGAs via email. Ph.D. students in the Department of English participate in the university-wide SGA orientation in their second year.

Questions about assistantships and scholarships may be directed to the Associate Director of Graduate Student Data Management and Student Financial Services, Louis DaRos, in the CSSH Graduate Office, 180 Renaissance Park.

Health Care

Information about the Northeastern University Student Health Plan and about waiving the coverage can be found at the NUSHP web page.

Health plan cards should be sent by the end of September. Be update your address via myNortheastern if you move during the summer.

Stipended Graduate Assistants: NUSHP and University Health and Counseling Services (UHCS) fees are not one in the same. The UHCS fee is not covered by the SGA and must be paid by the student, along with other student fees.

The Health Report Form is available on the University Health and Counseling Services’ website. Return the completed form no later than 30 days prior to the start of classes.

TIP: Verify that documentation has arrived if it was sent by someone other than yourself.

On-Campus Employment

If you are looking for on-campus jobs, please visit for student employment opportunities and watch your Northeastern email for notices about department-related student jobs. Additional job opportunities at NU can be found at

International students seeking on-campus temporary employment can also fill out this form to connect with the NU Student Temps program.

University policy limits NU student employees to 20 hours per week while enrolled. During semester breaks, finals weeks, and summer semesters (if not enrolled in summer courses), active students may work up to 40 hours total per week. More information can be found on the Student Employment Office’s website at

Students with a Stipended Graduate Assistantship may apply for up to six hours of “supplemental” work, on top of their SGA responsibilities. This form can be found on the “Current Student Resources” webpage.

Note: International student SGAs are not eligible for supplemental SGA. If you are an international student with an SGA, and you have questions or are interested in a student employment opportunity, please contact the Graduate Office.