America: History and Life
Abstracts of 2,000 journals; many local. A good place to start searches for articles by historians on a particular topic.
Encyclopedia – Britannica Online Encyclopedia
For undergraduate research papers, this should be used only to fill in background information
The History Cooperative
Word searchable, full text copies of major historical journals up to the present. It should be used in conjunction with:
Word searchable, full text coverage of a larger collection of journals than the History Cooperative, but only through 1996.
Oxford English Dictionary
Incomparably the best dictionary of the English language and on tracing changes in the meaning of words. Be careful it sometimes uses British spellings and definitions.
American Historical Association (AHA)
The umbrella organization of the historical profession.
An internet-based interdisciplinary organization that publishes essays, book reviews, job listings, and maintains discussion groups. It contains links to a wealth of resources of interest to both students and faculty
Making of America Collection
Cornell and Michigan universities scanned over 250 books and 100,000 articles that were in their collections and printed between 1800 and 1900. If you’re doing a research project in this time frame, this is a good starting point.
American Memory at the Library of Congress
A vast collection of images, maps and primary source documents. Searches always pull up too many hits.
In addition to competing for national and international grants, Northeastern University graduate students compete annually for research funds internal to the History Department. These funds include awards made by the generous donation of the Gillis Family Fund and by Lucille R. Zanghi. Each year these funds support graduate student research abroad, language training, and conference travel.
For complete information on requirements for and policies in the graduate degree programs, please consult the following booklets.
Current Student Resources
Public History Resources
- National Council on Public History
- New England Museum Association
- American Historical Association – Resources for Public Historians
- Society for History in the Federal Government
- Oral History Association
- American Association for State and Local History
- Institute of Museum and Library Services
- National Endowment for the Humanities
- National Park Service
- Organization of American Historians
- The Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History
- American Association for State and Local History Job Listings
- American Association of Museums Job Listings
- American Historical Association Employment Resources
- Museum Employment Resource Center
- National Council on Public History Job Listings
- National Council on Public History Internship Listings
- National Park Service Job Listings
- National Trust for Historic Preservation Job Listings
- Presidential Management Fellows Program
- Smithsonian Office of Fellowships and Internships
- Society of American Archivists Job Listings
- HistoryJobs on Twitter