Graduates of PhD program are able to:
- Employ primary and secondary materials to analyze critical debates within subfields of English studies.
- Demonstrate expertise in the history, theories, and methods of three chosen subfields of English studies pertinent to the student’s plan of research and teaching.
- Formulate and defend original and critically significant arguments, communicating them effectively in genres relevant to English studies (e.g., research papers, conference presentations, digital projects).
- Design and conduct sustained, sophisticated, independent research using primary and secondary sources in order to make a critical contribution to subfields within English studies.
- Develop foundational knowledge of pedagogical and curricular frameworks for teaching college-level writing and apply these frameworks in their own classrooms or other teaching contexts.
Doctoral Career Paths
We are committed to providing students with the best preparation and support as they pursue their job searches. Our dedicated Placement Director works with students on the preparation of their academic job materials, strategies for going on the market, and the interview process. Our programs’ many extracurricular offerings in collaboration with university offices also prepare students well for alt-ac careers.
Type of Program