The department recognizes the importance of linking graduate students to the academic profession in its largest sense, providing them not only with intellectual training but also with consistent support for activities such as conference presentations and journal publications, writing workshops, attendance at professional and scholarly institutes, and opportunities to participate in the department’s professional community.
- Working with the the English Graduate Student Association, the Graduate Studies Committee organizes workshops throughout the year on such topics as revising papers for publication, applying for external grant funding, and job search preparation.
- Both the department, the university’s Graduate Student Government, and the PhD Network offer financial subventions for conference attendance. More information can be found in the MA and PhD Guides.
- The department provides a dossier service for students engaged in the academic job search.
- In order to enhance students’ teaching portfolio, the department offers ENGL 8407 Teaching Practicum, a one-credit practicum that gives graduate students an opportunity to observe and participate in undergraduate classes taught by faculty in a student’s area of teaching interest or research.
- MA students are encouraged to take advantage of Northeastern’s experiential learning network through paid co-op opportunities and competitive research positions posted by department faculty.
- PhD students have hands-on opportunities to explore their research through the collaborative Experiential PhD fellows program.
- PhD students engaged as Writing Program instructors attend regular trainings and mentoring circles to improve their pedagogy.
- The college offers interdisciplinary graduate certificates in Digital Humanities and Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies that integrate with English graduate curricular requirements for any student that wishes to pursue these fields in depth.
- Click here for CSSH’s Funding Opportunities page. This page includes links to experiential fellowships, fieldwork fellowships, dissertation completion fellowships, and more.
- Click here for the PhD Network’s Funding Opportunities page. This database collects internal and external fellowships at the pre- and post-doctoral level.
- Click here for an extensive database of external opportunities, curated by UCLA.