Ph.D., 2005, Politics
Mondays 3-4pm, Tuesdays 3:30-4:30pm, or by appointment
920 Renaissance Park
920 Renaissance Park
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115
Mai’a K. Davis Cross is the Edward W. Brooke Professor of Political Science and associate professor of political science and international affairs. Professor Cross researches international cooperation, especially in the areas of European foreign and security policy, epistemic communities, crises, diplomacy, and public diplomacy. She holds a PhD in politics from Princeton University, and a bachelor’s degree in government from Harvard University. She is the author of three books: The Politics of Crisis in Europe (Cambridge University Press, February 2017), Security Integration in Europe: How Knowledge-based Networks are Transforming the European Union (University of Michigan Press, 2011), and The European Diplomatic Corps: Diplomats and International Cooperation from Westphalia to Maastricht (Palgrave Macmillan, 2007). Her second book was the 2012 winner of the Best Book Prize from the University Association of Contemporary European Studies. She is also co-editor of (with Jan Melissen), European Public Diplomacy: Soft Power at Work (Palgrave, 2013), a special journal issue (with Ireneusz Pawel Karolewski), Europe’s Hybrid Foreign Policy: The Ukraine-Russia Crisis (Journal of Common Market Studies, 2016), and (with Ireneusz Pawel Karolewski) Europe, Russia, and the Transatlantic Divide: Security Relations in Turbulent Times (University of Michigan Press, forthcoming). Her current single-authored book project is entitled, “The Ultrasocial World: International Cooperation Against All Odds,” which draws upon new insights about human nature from evolutionary biology, neuroscience, cognitive psychology, anthropology, among others, to examine the underlying causes and processes that have led to unanticipated instances of international cooperation across time. In addition to these major works, Dr. Cross has also written over 30 articles and book chapters on a wide range of topics, including European defense, counter-terrorism, crises, intelligence sharing, and space.
- The Politics of Crisis in Europe, New York: Cambridge University Press, February 2017.
- Security Integration in Europe: How Knowledge-based Networks are Transforming the European Union, Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 2011 (hardback), 2013 (paperback). 2012 Best Book Prize from the University Association for Contemporary European Studies
- The European Diplomatic Corps: Diplomats and International Cooperation from Westphalia to Maastricht, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2007.
EDITED BOOKS AND SPECIAL JOURNAL ISSUE
- (forthcoming) Europe, Russia, and the Transatlantic Divide: Security Relations in Turbulent Times, (co-edited with Ireneusz Pawel Karolewski), under contract, University of Michigan Press.
- Europe’s Hybrid Foreign Policy: The Ukraine-Russia Crisis, (co-edited with Ireneusz Pawel Karolewski), Journal of Common Market Studies, January 2017.
- European Public Diplomacy: Soft Power at Work, (co-edited with Jan Melissen), Series in Global Public Diplomacy, New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2013.
- (under review) “The European Space & Intelligence Networks,” Journal of Transatlantic Studies.
- (forthcoming) “Counter-terrorism & the Intelligence Network in Europe.” The International Journal of Law, Crime, and Justice.
- “The Social Construction of the Space Race: Then & Now.” November 2019. International Affairs 95(6): 1403-1421.
- “Reactive Power EU. Russian aggression and the development of an EU Arctic policy.” 2019. (with Marianne Riddervold), European Foreign Affairs Review 24(1): 43-60.
- “Partners at Paris? Climate Negotiations and Transatlantic Relations.” 2018. Journal of European Integration 40(5): 571-586.
- “Secrecy and the Making of the Common Foreign & Security Policy.” 2018. West European Politics 41(4): 914-932.
- “Counter-terrorism in the EU’s external relations.” 2017. Journal of European Integration 39(5): 609-624.
- “The European Union & Image Resilience During Times of Crisis: The Role of Public Diplomacy.” 2016. (with Teresa La Porte), The Hague Journal of Diplomacy 2(3): 257-282.
- “The Global Strategy and EU Diplomacy.” 2016. Forum: The EU Global Strategy, Contemporary Security Policy 37(3): 402-413.
- “What type of power has the EU exercised in the Ukraine-Russia crisis? A framework of analysis.” 2016. (with Ireneusz Pawel Karolewski), Special Issue: Europe’s Hybrid Foreign Policy, Journal of Common Market Studies 55(1): 3-19.
- “The EU’s Power in the Russia-Ukraine Crisis: Enabled or Constrained?” 2016. (with Ireneusz Pawel Karolewski), Special Issue: Europe’s Hybrid Foreign Policy, Journal of Common Market Studies 55(1): 137-152.
- “EU Crises & Integrational Panic: The Role of the Media.” 2015. (with Xinru Ma), Journal of European Public Policy 22(8): 1053-1070.
- “The European Defence Agency and the Member States: Public and Hidden Transcripts.” 2015. European Foreign Affairs Review, 20(3): 83-102.
- “The Limits of Epistemic Communities: EU Security Agencies.” 2015. Politics & Governance 3(1): 90-100.
- “Rethinking Epistemic Communities Twenty Years Later.” 2013. Review of International Studies, 39(1): 137-160.
- “The Military Dimension of European Security: An Epistemic Community Approach.” 2013. Millennium 42(1): 45-64.
- “A European Transgovernmental Intelligence Network and the Role of IntCen.” 2013. Perspectives on European Politics and Society, 14(3): 388-402.
- “Identity Politics and European Integration.” 2012. Comparative Politics, 44(2): 229-246.
- “Europe, A Smart Power?” 2011. International Politics, 48(6): 691-706.
- “Building a European Diplomacy: Recruitment & Training to the EEAS.” 2011. European Foreign Affairs Review, 16(4): 447-464.
- “Cooperation by Committee: The EU Military Committee and the Committee for Civilian Crisis Management.” 2010. Occasional Paper, No. 82. Paris: European Union Institute for Security Studies, pp. 1-38.
- “An EU Homeland Security? Sovereignty vs. Supranational Order.” 2007. European Security, 16(1): 79-97.
- (forthcoming) “Intelligence and Secrecy,” in Guri Rosen and Vigjilenca Abazi (eds) Secrecy and Foreign Policy, Oxford University Press
- (forthcoming) “Constructivist Approaches to Understanding EU Crises,” in Akasemi Newsome, Marianne *Riddervold, Jarle Trondal (eds) Crisis, Resilience and the Future of the EU, Palgrave.
- (forthcoming) “Security and Terrorism,” in Rory Costello and Neil Robinson (eds) Democratic Politics in Europe: A Comparative Perspective, Oxford University Press.
- (in press) “The merits of informality: The European trans-governmental intelligence network,” in Jan-Hendrik Dietrich & Satish Sule, Intelligence Law and Policy in Europe, Munich: C.H. Beck.
- (in press) “EU Institutions & Peace,” in Asle Toje (ed.), The Causes of Peace, Nobel Symposium, 2018.
- “Counter-terrorism in the EU’s external relations,” in Kalypso Nicolaidis, Richard Bellamy, and Joseph Lacey (eds), European Boundaries in Question, Routledge, 2018. (reprint)
- “Environmental and Climate Diplomacy,” (with Diarmuid Torney) in Camilla Adelle, Katja Biedenkopf, and Diarmuid Torney (eds) The External Dimension of European Union Environmental Policy: Rules, Regulation and Governance Beyond Borders, Palgrave, 2017.
- “The Public Diplomacy Role of the EEAS: Crafting a Resilient Image for Europe,” in David Spence and Jozef Batora (eds), The European External Action Service: European Diplomacy Post-Westphalia, Palgrave, 2015. pp. 341-355.
- “A Media Perspective on European Crises,” (with Xinru Ma), in Hans-Joerg Trenz, Carlo Ruzza, Virginie Guiraudan (eds), Europe’s Prolonged Crisis: The Making or the Unmaking of a Political Union, Palgrave, 2015. pp. 210-231.
- “The Practice of Diplomacy and EU Security Policy,” in Maciej Wilga and Ireneusz Pawel Karolewski (eds), New Approaches to EU Foreign Policy, Routledge Advances in European Politics, London: Routledge, 2014. pp. 106-124.
- “Transatlantic Cultural Diplomacy,” in Raphaela Henze and Gernot Wolfram (eds), Exporting Culture: Which Role for Europe in a Global World? Springer VS, 2014. pp. 13-24.
- “La coopération par comité. Le Comité militaire de l’UE et le Comité pour la gestion civile des crises,” in Grégory Boutherin et Emmanuel Goffi (eds), L’Europe et sa defense. Paris: éditions Choiseul, 2011. pp. 97-124.
- “Sustainable Diplomacy in the European Union,” in Costas M. Constantinou and James Der Derian (eds), Sustainable Diplomacies, Studies and Diplomacy and International Relations, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2010. pp. 192-212.
- “A European Epistemic Community of Diplomats,” in Paul Sharp and Geoffrey Wiseman (eds), The Diplomatic Corps as an Institution of International Society, Studies in Diplomacy and International Relations, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2007. pp. 223-245.
Awards and Honors
- Nobel Peace Institute Fellow, 2016
- Best Book Prize for Security Integration in Europe from the University Association for Contemporary European Studies, 2012
- American Political Science Association Pi Sigma Alpha Teaching Recognition, 2012
- USC Learning Environment Award for teaching using technology, 2012
- Winner of the USC Steven B. Sample Teaching and Mentoring Award, 2011. (given to one junior faculty member university-wide each year)
- Fulbright Fellow, 2009
- Journal of European Integration – Associate Editor, 2018-present
- Council on Foreign Relations – Term Member, 2014-present
- Palgrave Studies in International Relations – Series Editor, 2016-present
- The Hague Journal of Diplomacy – International Advisory Board, 2014-present
- Netherlands Institute of International Relations Clingendael – Senior Visiting Fellow, 2012-present
- Palgrave Macmillan Series in Global Public Diplomacy – Editorial Board, 2012-present
- Place Branding and Public Diplomacy – Editorial Board, 2012-present