Hong Liu China Studies Student Award
The Northeastern University Global Asian Studies Program is accepting applications for the Hong Liu China Studies Award
Deadline: March 15, 2024
Award: Up to $2,500
The Hong Liu China Studies Student Award supports study abroad, international research, internship, and co-op abroad opportunities for bachelor’s and master’s students at Northeastern University who intend to pursue careers focusing on building relations between the United States and China on the basis of peace, justice, and mutual understanding. These awards can be used to partially support travel or living expenses not covered by other sources.
- A two-page statement that:
- describes the co-op, study abroad, internship, or international research opportunity
- explains how the opportunity fits into the students’ long-term career goals
- explains why this award is needed to participate in this opportunity
- List of other funding sources received or applied for
- Budget statement that describes all expenses for the project, which details the proposed use of the requested funds
- One academic letter of reference from faculty member at Northeastern or another university
- Transcript (can be unofficial)
- One letter of recommendation, preferably from a Northeastern faculty. *must be submitted separately, please see below
Please submit application materials as a single PDF file uploaded through the link below. Please name the file in the following manner:
[applicant last name]_[applicant first name]_application.pdf
Letters of recommendation are submitted separately by the referee to Professor Philip Thai at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants who receive the award will be required to fulfill the following obligations upon the conclusion of their time in China:
- Applicants will submit a report of no more than two pages within a month after the end of their award period. The report should detail their experiences using the award and how studying, working, or living in China helped their career or academic goals. The reports may be shared with funders of the award or made publicly available for promotional purposes by the Global Asian Studies Program.
- Applicants may serve as ambassadors for the Global Asian Studies Program and give a presentation on their experiences to the Program or CSSH audience including academic advisors, co-op advisors, and other members of the Northeastern experiential learning community.
This award is made possible by the Hong Liu Fund.