Welcome to The American Sign Language Program
The American Sign Language (ASL) Program curriculum is an intensive program of study dedicated to preparing individuals to interact in a positive and supportive manner with members of the American Deaf CommunityMajors, Minors, & Grad Programs
- Aidan majored in ASL Interpreting because of a desire to be able to communicate with her Deaf family.
- Aidan created a video to talk about her time in the program. Click the video to see an English transcript.
- In Interpreting Inquiry Texts, taught by Prof. Herbert, she had her first real experience interpreting.
- She traveled to Ireland and studied Irish literature and film. Immersing in Irish culture will help with her future endeavors as an interpreter.
- She completed Practicum at Boston Arts Academy. She shadowed interpreters and utilized the skill learned in the program.
- After graduation, Aidan began working at WCI as a case manager.
- After seeing Deaf/hearing actors on Broadway, Monica transferred to CSSH’s ASL program.
- With a background in musical theater, Performance Interpreting taught her how to approach different texts such as poetry and music.
- Monica found a creative outlet that refueled her love for musical theater. She was involved in several student productions.
- Monica created a video to explain her time in the program.
- Her fieldwork placements were in government and education. There, she engaged in real-world interpreting with experienced interpreters.
- She currently works at the Millneck Manor Deaf School in NY.