Skip to content

Any questions not covered in these FAQs can be directed to the Graduate Program Administrator at

Registration Questions

To register for Directed Study:

  1. Speak with the faculty member who will be listed as the instructor for your Directed Study to develop the course.
  2. Submit a directed study request via the Student Hub > Registrar Forms prior to the start of the semester for which you wish to enroll (ideally at least 2 weeks in advance for processing).
  3. Approval is not automatic. The instructor will first review and approve the Directed Study request. Then, the Graduate Program Director or Administrator will review and approve the request.
  4. If the request is approved from both levels, the Registrar will review and process the request, and add the course to the student’s schedule.

Please refer to the Registrar’s Office academic calendar for all important registration dates, including the last day to drop a course without a “W” grade.

Incomplete “I” Grade Contracts are required of all graduate students who receive an Incomplete, or “I” grade, from an instructor. “I” Grade Contracts can be found on the Registrar’s webpage.

ENGL 8960 Exam Prep, ENGL 9986 Doctoral Research, and ENGL 9996 Dissertation Continuation are charged at the equivalent rate of 1 semester hour of credit. ENGL 9990 Dissertation is charged at the equivalent rate of 1.5 semester hours of credit. More information can be found on the Student Financial Services website.

Information about the Teaching Practicum can be found here. During the fall and spring registration periods, a list of practicum opportunities is sent to graduate students via email.

The Graduate Studies Committee, in conjunction with the CSSH Graduate School, oversees students’ progress toward the degree. At a minimum, satisfactory progress includes meeting deadlines for completing coursework, taking examinations, and completing the dissertation set by the English department and the graduate school. These deadlines are described in the degree program guides as well as in the General Regulations booklet. The student is responsible for being aware of these deadlines and should consult immediately with the advisor or the Graduate Program Director in the event of difficulty in making progress at any stage. Satisfactory progress also includes the expectation that students will demonstrate continuing and appropriate activity (e.g., by submitting dissertation chapters in draft regularly to the dissertation committee).

Failure to maintain satisfactory progress can lead to the withdrawal of the teaching assistantship or other financial support administered by the Graduate School or the English department or to withdrawal from the program.

Time limits for completing coursework can be found in the CSSH Graduate School’s General Regulations booklet.

Information about transferring credit can be found on the Registrar’s forms website.

Miscellaneous Questions

In your correspondence and closing salutations use the most accurate descriptors of your academic standing and/or job title (e.g., “Instructor” rather than “Professor,” “Mr./Ms.” rather than “Dr.,” “Doctoral Student” rather than “Doctoral Candidate,” if not ABD). Students doing a teaching practicum may describe themselves as “Teaching Fellow.”

The Department offers a variety of resources to support students with professional success beyond their graduate degrees. Visit our Professional Development and Job Search Resources pages for more details.

Update your myNortheastern account information via the link provided under the “Self Services” tab.

Students in coursework pay a Campus Recreation Fee to access the fitness facilities on campus.

Students who are not enrolled in credit-bearing courses have to submit a form and pay a fee to access campus recreation facilities. More information can be found under Student Accounts and Health Forms on the Student Financial Services Forms website:

If interested in business cards, please contact a department staff member for more information.

Loans are distributed during the first week of the semester, and they are automatically applied to any outstanding balance in your account. Since TAs and GSS recipients are asked not to pay the full balance of their bill, they need to request a cash release. These students may request the cash release via myNortheastern. Here’s the Student Financial Services’ policy about cash releases:

Many students opt to personally visit the Student Accounts Office with a copy of their award letters in hand. Students should tell the customer service person to look both in the Financial Aid and in the Student Account systems for their award information.

Students complete their language requirement through one of the following six options:

  1. Reading Comprehension Examination
  2. Previous Coursework
  3. Previous Graduate Examination
  4. Native Proficiency
  5. Advanced Research Skill
  6. Another Method

Please refer to the program guides for full details.

Medical Leave of Absence information can be found on the UHCS website. Requests for all non-medical Leaves of Absence are submitted via myNortheastern prior to the start of the semester for which the leave is being requested.

Printed letterhead can be found in 411 Lake Hall (mail room), and electronic letterhead is available upon request to the department Graduate Office. Don’t create your own letterhead or use the letterhead of other academic or administrative units. Students should check the letterhead they plan to use meets current standards. If unsure, contact a department staff member.

Students are encouraged to use department letterhead to correspond about employment by the university or other employers that is related to your graduate school experience; to request or obtain desk copies or other educational materials to be used in teaching; to apply for admission to other educational programs; to document employment or student status; to organize student activities, such as the EGSA conference.

Name change forms for legal and non-legal name changes are maintained and processed by the Registrar.

Students who wish to change their name or gender marker in Northeastern systems without having legally done so must begin the process through the LGBTQA Resource Center. To start the process of changing your name and/or gender marker, complete this form and email it to from your Husky email address to verify your identity. Please note that you should directly contact the LGBTQA Resource Center to begin this process. If you go directly to the Registrar’s office, you will be directed back to the LGBTQA Resource Center.

Information about the internal application process is forthcoming and will be posted on the CSSH Graduate Office’s website. Please reach out to for any questions.

Many second-year Master’s students participate in Teaching Practicum. The department also offers for-credit unpaid service-learning internships and digital humanities practica.  Part-time jobs may be available in the Writing Center and NULab.

Master’s students can consider applying for co-ops and internships in the second year.

Feel free to contact the Graduate Office for more information about these opportunities.

University policy limits NU student employees to 20 hours per week while enrolled. During semester breaks, finals weeks, and summer semesters (if not enrolled in summer courses), active students may work up to 40 hours total per week. More information can be found on the Student Employment Office’s website at

Students with the Stipended Graduate Assistantship may apply for up to six hours of “supplemental” work, on top of their SGA responsibilities. Contact the Graduate Office to request the necessary form.

Note: International student SGAs are not eligible for supplemental SGA. If you are an international student with an SGA, and you have questions or are interested in a student employment opportunity, please contact the Graduate Office.

Please refer to the MA and PhD guides for more information on travel reimbursement eligibility.