Opportunity Posted On:
Company / Organization:
City of Boston
View Job:View Job Opportunity
Brief Job Description (essential functions of the job):
The Department of Innovation and Technology is looking for a Senior Analyst to join our growing Citywide Analytics Team.
As part of a highly-collaborative group using data to improve all aspects of city government, the Senior Analyst will develop and manage Citywide Analytics Team projects from beginning to end. Successful candidates will be able to work closely with other technical staff, project stakeholders, and external partners across City government, manage diverse technologies and projects, and develop tools and best practices that can be implemented across the organization. The Senior Analyst will also seek out opportunities for learning that will complement the team’s existing capabilities, provide expert guidance to other members of the Citywide Analytics Team, and assist in training, mentoring, and hands-on assistance as needed.
The Citywide Analytics team is comprised of a diverse group of analysts, data scientists, project managers, developers, and engineers with a range of skills and backgrounds, working together to use data to improve life for those who live and work in Boston. The Senior Analyst will fulfill the responsibilities listed below and bring a collaborative spirit that will strengthen and expand the team’s overall range of abilities.
- Plans, implements, and maintains analytics projects in support of partners throughout city government.
- Develops in-depth understanding of the workflows, challenges, and stakeholders of specific City departments and programs in order to successfully execute existing projects and identify opportunities for future innovation.
- Manages data, perform analyses, and develops visualizations as required to facilitate both internal and external projects.
- Collaborates with technical staff on projects requiring specialized skills outside of the Senior Analyst’s own areas of expertise.
- Participates in the development and promotion of best practices for the Citywide Analytics Team.
- Coordinates across departments to source data, develop projects, and put analytic findings and tools into business operations.
- Creates and maintains documentation on relevant data, code, and procedures.
- Become sufficiently knowledgeable about the Citywide Analytics Team’s workflows and best practices to provide expert advice, mentoring, training and guidance to other team members, project stakeholders, and external partners.
- Perform related work as required.
MINIMUM ENTRANCE QUALIFICATIONS:
- At least three (3) years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, experience working with data analysis projects in a business, government, or nonprofit setting.
- A bachelor’s degree in economics, computer science, social science, engineering, mathematics, public policy, business, or a related field is preferred and may be substituted for up to two (2) years of the required experience (master’s degree highly preferred).
- Experience planning and executing collaborative projects from start to finish under time and resource constraints.
- Familiarity with relational database systems such as PostgreSQL, MySQL, or Microsoft SQL Server.
- Proficiency in statistical data analysis and visualization using Python, R, Stata, or similar tools.
- Familiarity with geospatial concepts and data as well as related analysis and visualization tools such as PostGIS, QGIS, or ArcGIS.
- Experience using Tableau or other similar data visualization platforms.
- Ability to communicate the results of analyses in a clear and effective manner.
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and communication skills, including mapping of specific business needs to appropriate solutions, in a data-focused context.
- Demonstrated success in learning new skills as needed to succeed in a fast-paced environment.
- Talent for explaining complex subject matter to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Experience in the public sector (especially in local government) is highly desirable.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Boston Residency Required