Senior Performance Coach
Opportunity Posted On:
Company / Organization:
Department of Innovation and Technology, City of Boston
View Job:View Job Opportunity
Brief Job Description (essential functions of the job):
The Department of Innovation and Technology is looking for a Senior Performance Coach to join our growing Analytics Team.
As part of a highly-collaborative group using data to improve all aspects of city government, the Senior Performance Coach will serve as a consultant for departments in evaluating, planning, and implementing improvements in processes, practices, and organizational effectiveness. Successful candidates will have experience in leading and facilitating process improvement projects with a record of successful implementation. The Senior Performance Coach will also assist in developing process improvement policies and structures and seek out opportunities for learning that will complement the team’s existing capabilities, provide expert guidance to city staff, and assist in training, mentoring, and hands-on assistance as needed.
The Analytics team is a diverse group of analysts, data scientists, project managers, developers, and engineers with a range of skills and backgrounds, working together to use data to improve life for those who live and work in Boston. The Senior Performance Coach will fulfill the responsibilities listed below and bring a collaborative spirit that will strengthen and expand the team’s overall range of abilities.
- Serve as the Analytics Team’s resident expert on process improvement.
- Coach and train city employees in process improvement methodologies, such as lean.
- Lead consultations with departments on the use of process re-engineering techniques to improve business process performance.
- Direct departments in planning and executing process improvement projects as needed, including developing project scopes and schedules based on business and customer needs.
- Lead consultations with departments on metrics to evaluate the effectiveness of process improvements.
- Communicate regularly with Analytics Team leadership about the impact and effectiveness of process improvement projects.
- Develop performance management and process improvement policies and templates and empower departments to leverage those resources.
- Manage and maintain documentation on business processes and improvements.
- Perform related work as required.
MINIMUM ENTRANCE QUALIFICATIONS:
- At least four (4) years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, experience leading or facilitating process improvement projects with a record of successful implementation in a business, government, or nonprofit setting.
- A bachelor’s degree in economics, computer science, social science, engineering, mathematics, public policy, business, or a related field is preferred and may be substituted for up to two (2) years of the required experience (master’s degree highly preferred).
- Experience using process improvement or project management methodologies.
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and communication skills (both oral and written), including mapping of business needs to appropriate solutions
- Experience planning and executing collaborative projects from start to finish under time and resource constraints.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to successfully work independently, and as part of a team, as well as cross-functionally with other teams or departments.
- Demonstrated success in learning new skills as needed to succeed in a fast-paced environment, and a commitment to learning through continual improvement and research relevant to this role.
- Talent for explaining complex subject matter to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Familiarity with data visualization and reporting to monitor progress or impact.
- Experience in the public sector (especially in local government) is highly desirable.
- Performs other related duties as required.
BOSTON RESIDENCY REQUIRED.