Apply
Stories

Co-op Spotlight | Boston Private Financial Intelligence Unit

Annalise Jones shares their co-op experience as a Financial Intelligence Research Assistant at Boston Private Financial Intelligence Unit.

Tell us about your co-op.

At Boston Private, I worked as a research assistant in the Financial Intelligence Unit. I was one of two co-ops on my team of roughly 10 full-time employees. Our main goal was to function within the bank’s Anti-Money Laundering (AML), Fraud, and compliance standards by analyzing suspicious transaction activity and researching and assessing prospective clients. My daily tasks included the following: 

• Assess international wire transactions to identify suspicious or potentially suspicious activity 
  • Onboard new clients to the Bank while complying with the Bank’s risk assessments 
  • Prepare bi-monthly news emails related to AML and Fraud 
  • Assist other analysts with special projects and investigations

Why did you decide to pursue this co-op?

I chose to pursue a co-op experience at Boston Private because it gave me insight into the private side of financial crime. At my previous co-op, I was in the Gaming Enforcement Division at the Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office. I was doing work related to Anti-Money Laundering policies and other financial crime. That position was of course within the government, so I was grateful to have the opportunity to see the other side of the industry as well.

How has this co-op impacted you personally?

This position gave me proficiency in identifying and acting upon various financial crimes that occurred within the bank. I now realize I would prefer to work in the private sector if I am to continue in pursuit of financial crime positions. If given the opportunity, I would love to work at Boston Private in the future.

What was your biggest takeaway from this co-op?

This co-op further enhanced my understanding of the skills necessary to work efficiently on a team. Daily and monthly deadlines kept my work both timely and concise. Additionally, I was fortunate enough to meet great coworkers and other professionals in the field of financial crime from banks around Boston.

Learn more about co-op in the School of Criminology and Criminal Justice.

More Stories

Examining the Relationship Between Adverse Childhood Experiences and Juvenile Recidivism: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis

Does Racial Congruence Between Police Agencies and Communities Reduce Racialized Police Killings of Civilians?

12.06.2021

SCCJ students win third place at Northeastern GIS Conference

11.18.22
Student Stories