Apply
Stories

Co-op Spotlight | Boston Private Financial Intelligence Unit

Annalise Jones shares their co-op experience as a Financial Intelligence Research Assistant at Boston Private Financial Intelligence Unit.

Tell us about your co-op.

At Boston Private, I worked as a research assistant in the Financial Intelligence Unit. I was one of two co-ops on my team of roughly 10 full-time employees. Our main goal was to function within the bank’s Anti-Money Laundering (AML), Fraud, and compliance standards by analyzing suspicious transaction activity and researching and assessing prospective clients. My daily tasks included the following: 

• Assess international wire transactions to identify suspicious or potentially suspicious activity 
  • Onboard new clients to the Bank while complying with the Bank’s risk assessments 
  • Prepare bi-monthly news emails related to AML and Fraud 
  • Assist other analysts with special projects and investigations

Why did you decide to pursue this co-op?

I chose to pursue a co-op experience at Boston Private because it gave me insight into the private side of financial crime. At my previous co-op, I was in the Gaming Enforcement Division at the Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office. I was doing work related to Anti-Money Laundering policies and other financial crime. That position was of course within the government, so I was grateful to have the opportunity to see the other side of the industry as well.

How has this co-op impacted you personally?

This position gave me proficiency in identifying and acting upon various financial crimes that occurred within the bank. I now realize I would prefer to work in the private sector if I am to continue in pursuit of financial crime positions. If given the opportunity, I would love to work at Boston Private in the future.

What was your biggest takeaway from this co-op?

This co-op further enhanced my understanding of the skills necessary to work efficiently on a team. Daily and monthly deadlines kept my work both timely and concise. Additionally, I was fortunate enough to meet great coworkers and other professionals in the field of financial crime from banks around Boston.

Learn more about co-op in the School of Criminology and Criminal Justice.

More Stories

PhD Student Stacie St. Louis Receives Ben Steiner Excellence in Corrections Student Paper Award

10.18.2021

He Wants To Become Boston’s First Deaf Police Officer. Here’s Why.

09.28.2021

Does Racial Congruence Between Police Agencies and Communities Reduce Racialized Police Killings of Civilians?

12.06.21
Student Stories