Apply
Stories

Co-op Spotlight | New England Innocence Project and Harvard Prison Legal Assistance Project

Tatiana Marcus shares their co-op experiences at New England Innocence Project and Harvard Prison Legal Assistance Project.

Tell us about your co-ops.

At New England Innocence Project (NEIP), I screened and reviewed applications while sharing my thoughts on cases with attorneys. I was treated as part of the legal team and they often sought my opinion. As the Intake Intern, I had to make sure the applicant was claiming actual innocence, that they explained why they are innocent of the specific crime and identify avenues for exoneration: prosecutorial/police misconduct, alibi, victim recantation, false confessions, DNA, eyewitness misidentification. My responsibilities evolved more: after a couple of months, I was asked to write recommendation memos on cases. I observed a retrial for a man who had served 32 years in prison, maintaining his innocence throughout. Finally, a judge overturned his conviction and granted him a new trial. I observed closing arguments and waited for jury deliberation with him in the courthouse. After two hours, the jury reached a not guilty verdict. As an intern, seeing someone be exonerated was something I will never forget.

At Harvard Prison Legal Assistance Project (PLAP), I worked alongside law students and attorneys, answered calls and letters from prisoners, and conducted legal research. By sending prisoners information and referring them to legal services, I aided in promoting their rights. During my lunch break, I went to Harvard Law “lunch talks,” even one featuring an investigator who exposes animal cruelty around the world. I also had the opportunity to attend three parole hearings.

Why did you decide to pursue these co-ops?

Initially, I looked for co-ops at public defender offices. But by doing Harvard PLAP and NEIP at the same time (part-time at each), I got two amazing experiences at once. At PLAP, I was helping prisoners and at NEIP I was helping innocent prisoners—they both seemed to complement each other well. I always had an interest in wrongful conviction, but I did not have extensive knowledge of the field. And NEIP was the obvious place to learn more about it. I also wanted a co-op that involved helping people—which is why PLAP and NEIP have earned respect across the Northeast.

How have these co-ops impacted you personally?

Both these co-ops gave me a better idea of my likely career path: I know I want to be an attorney. At New England Innocence Project, I saw the urgent need to help the thousands of innocent people incarcerated in America. I hope to help get at least some of those people exonerated. And while co-oping at Harvard Prison Legal Assistance Project, I saw that even law students can change the lives of incarcerated people.

What was your biggest takeaway from these co-ops?

From my co-op at NEIP, I learned how to effectively communicate, how to work efficiently with co-workers, and how to use my Spanish skills to my advantage. I improved my researching and organization skills, which will help in law school. I wrote recommendation memos, which will prepare me for work at a firm. And I saw firsthand how our criminal justice system lacks justice.

The Harvard co-op taught me about the inequities of America’s prison system. I learned how to ask the right questions and how to organize the office space for efficiency. I spoke to Harvard Law students (and had one as my roommate), which gave me confidence for law school. One observation: I doubt I will pursue a career as a criminal defense attorney—I would not want to represent someone I know is guilty (although I believe that everyone is entitled to a defense).

Learn more about co-op in the School of Criminology and Criminal Justice.

More Stories

PhD Student Stacie St. Louis Receives Ben Steiner Excellence in Corrections Student Paper Award

10.18.2021

He Wants To Become Boston’s First Deaf Police Officer. Here’s Why.

09.28.2021

Does Racial Congruence Between Police Agencies and Communities Reduce Racialized Police Killings of Civilians?

12.06.21
Student Stories