Free Writing Tutoring for BHA Residents
Are you interested in attending Northeastern?
The Northeastern University BHA Scholars Program offers full-tuition scholarships to BHA residents, including recent high school graduates and returning students. We can help with your application. Click below for more information about the program.
In collaboration with the Boston Housing Authority, the Northeastern University Writing Center offers free tutoring to all BHA residents 14 and older to support their writing needs. Here are some reasons why you may schedule a session with one of our tutors:
- To help you with your school work, regardless of discipline. As long as it includes writing, the NU Writing Center can help you brainstorm how to approach a school assignment, give you feedback on a draft, or help you review a final version of a manuscript. In other words, bring us your history assignment or your lab report! Come only with a prompt or ready to review a draft.We will support your writing needs regardless of subject, stage of the writing process, and purpose.
- If you are planning to apply to the BHA Scholarship Program Information, a partnership between BHA and NU that offers full-tuition scholarship to BHA Public Housing residents of all ages to attend NU, the Writing Center can help you craft your personal statement.
- We can assist you with resumes, internship applications, job applications, and scholarship narratives, among other documents.
- We can also support you with your creative writing projects or other professional writing such as websites and blogs.
- All tutoring sessions take place online, so you do not need to worry about travel.
To set up an account and schedule your first visit, write to us at WritingCenter@northeastern.edu. In the subject heading, please include “BHA.” In your email include your availability, and the email account you would like us to use to create an account for you.
For anyone under 18:
We need consent from a parent or guardian in order to schedule appointments with minors. Please download and complete this consent form and email it to us at WritingCenter@northeastern.edu. Under “Activity,” write “tutoring,” and for “Dates of Activity,” date today to a year from now, (for example, June 2, 2022 to June 2, 2023). In your email, please indicate that the client is a minor and include the parent/guardian’s name and contact information.
We have writing consultants who are specifically authorized to work with minors. If you schedule your own session through our WC online portal, please be sure to make an appointment with Jessica, Tehya, Jaya, or Mary. They all have (BHA) next to their names in our schedule.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions. We’re here to answer them. Feel free to contact Isabel Sobral Campos, firstname.lastname@example.org, or Rachael McIntosh, email@example.com.
HOW IT WORKS:
- To set up an appointment, email us at WritingCenter@northeastern.edu with your preferred email address and availability. If requesting an appointment for a minor, please include the consent form.
- We will create an account for you in our online portal, WC Online.
- If we have an opening that matches your availability, we will schedule your appointment and send you an email with your account information, appointment details, and instructions to access your first appointment.
- If we do not have an opening that matches the availability you provided, we will email you with your account information and work with you to find another meeting time that works with your schedule.
- After your first appointment, you can schedule additional appointments directly through our online portal. Please schedule your appointments with one of the consultants who have “BHA” next to their name.
- If you would like more information before you schedule an appointment, please feel free to contact us at any time!
FOR YOUR FIRST APPOINTMENT:
How to Access Your Appointment through WC Online
- Go to neu.mywconline.com
- Log in with the username and password provided
- You will see the Writing Center schedule for the current week. In the upper right corner, it will say “Welcome, ‘Your Name’” with an arrow for a drop down menu. Hover over the arrow to bring up the menu.
- Hover your mouse over “my appointments” and select the appointment we have scheduled for you. The date and time should match what is listed in the email above.
- When you click on the appointment, a new window will appear with your appointment details. Don’t worry if many of the fields are blank and/or do not apply. In a light gray box at the top, you should see “START OR JOIN ONLINE CONSULTATION” in red font. When it is time for your appointment, you will click that link to enter the online appointment. Your writing consultant will also have access to the link.
- Be sure to enable your microphone and, if you choose, video. If you prefer not to use video, that is not a problem.