Encouraging Students to Use the Writing Center
We welcome faculty to spread the word about the Writing Center. Here are a few tips for faculty.
Mention it in class
- Show our 4 minute video to your class
- Provide flyers (e-mail us at WritingCenter@Northeastern.edu and we can send them to you via campus mail)
- Pull up our website and social media outlets (see icons in footer)
- Walk them through how to make an appointment.
- Bring them to either Writing Center location.
Add Syllabus Language
The Northeastern University Writing Center offers free and friendly tutoring and for any level of writer, including help with conceptualizing writing projects, the writing process (i.e., planning, researching, organizing, drafting, and revising), and using sources effectively. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Writing Center is operating only online. We offer sessions Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM, Saturdays, from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM, and Sundays from 10:00 AM to 5 PM. To make an appointment or learn more about the Writing Center visit our website at cssh.northeastern.edu/writingcenter. For writing tips and upcoming events, follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/NUWritingCenter/ Instragram @NUWritingCenter or Twitter @NUWrites. Questions about the Writing Center can be directed to Assistant Director Tieanna Graphenreed at firstname.lastname@example.org or Isabel Sobral Campos, Writing Center Director, at email@example.com
*Language adapted from University of Wisconsin-Madison Writing Center
The Writing Center offers free and friendly tutoring for the Northeastern community for any piece of writing they are working on. Tutors can help with brainstorming, planning, researching, organizing, drafting, revising, and using sources. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Writing Center is operating only online. We offer sessions Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM, Saturdays, from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM and Sundays from 10:00 AM to 5 PM. To make an appointment or learn more about the Writing Center visit our website at cssh.northeastern.edu/writingcenter.
Add a Canvas Link
Here’s how to do it:
- Consider creating a page on Canvas listing resources. Include a link to the Writing Center at cssh.northeastern.edu/writingcenter
- That’s it! Now your students will see a link to the Writing Center’s homepage each time they’re in your Canvas course site.
Encourage, but don’t require
Some faculty require their classes to visit the Writing Center or offer a grade boost on an assignment if they do. However, these well-intended incentives have a few consequences:
- It can create large spikes in demand for our services that our tutoring staff may not be able to handle.
- Students may have decreased motivation for being there. Our tutors sometimes perceive that a writer doesn’t have a clear purpose for the session and later find out that they have been required to come.
- Faculty often ask for proof that their students visited (a signed note, an email from the Writing Center), but our center maintains confidentiality about appointments in keeping with our interpretation of FERPA.
Instead, please spread the word about the Writing Center to your classes but consider not mandating students to come unless you are doing so a case-by-case basis.
Are you a faculty member looking for resources on how to embed writing instruction into your courses?
Visit the Writing Program to learn more about writing across the curriculum, effective feedback and assessment, multilingual writing pedagogy, and more.