Interdisciplinary. Experiential. Scholarly focused.
Northeastern University’s PhD in Public Policy is a scholarly-focused degree and training program for individuals interested in conducting research in academia or other high-level professional settings, such as think tanks, nonprofit organizations, industry, and government. It equips students with the theory and research skills to address societal issues of pressing concern at national and international levels, such as sustainability and resilience, urban planning and policy, and health policy.
Students take core courses in policy theory, quantitative and qualitative methods, and research design, and specialize in one of three concentrations: Sustainability and Resilience, Urban and Regional Policy, and Health Care Policy and Management. Students develop insight, experience, and synergies while working with faculty on key research projects or working at any of the school’s research centers. The school provides a high level of support, allowing students to excel in their studies and research.
- Become versed in the foundational knowledge in public policy as a field of inquiry sufficient to contribute to its continued evolution and relevance
- Obtain deep and nuanced expertise in a specified subject area
- Develop the methodological tools to enable policy-relevant research in high-level professional settings
- Understand and reveal structural and historical inequities in the particular area of focus
- Identify issues of pressing concern to society at local, national, and international levels.
Applications for Fall 2022 are no longer being accepted.
Type of Program