Students new to the field of public affairs or those changing careers are required to pursue a 300-hour internship experience, which can be accomplished any time after the first semester, and while taking classes. Students with relevant professional experience can request a waiver of the internship requirement.
Recent MPA student internships:
- Town of Winthrop, Massachusetts
- Codman Square Neighborhood Development Corporation
- New England Center for Homeless Veterans
- Metropolitan Area Planning Council
- Sport Bureau of Hebei Province, China
- Emerge Massachusetts
- National Alliance of Mental Illness
- U.S. Department of State
- State Legislative Leaders Foundation
- Boston Chinatown Neighborhood Center
- Massachusetts Commission on the Status of Women
To inquire about internships, contact Professor Linda Kowalcky.
Cooperative Education (Co-op)
MPA students can take advantage of Northeastern’s signature Cooperative Education Experience (“Co-op”), which offers full-time, six-month research and work experiences in nonprofit, public, and private sector institutions in Greater Boston and across the United States. Participating students apply the skills and competencies acquired in the program in a particular professional environment, and then reflect on their professional experiences through the required two-credit Experiential Integration course. Students interested in Co-op should meet early on with Professor Linda Kowalcky, who coordinates the School’s experiential education program, to determine eligibility and how Co-op will fit within the student’s curriculum.
To inquire about the cooperative education program, contact Professor Linda Kowalcky.
Type of Program
- Graduate Program
Accreditations & Affiliations